Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hiya, for our coursework we're comparing 1984 and one other dystopian text of our choosing. Can you recommend which of the following texts would likely be the most interesting to compare in relation to 1984?

• A Handmaids Tale
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Never Let Me Go
    • Brave New World
    • The Wasteland
    • Children of Men
    • The Road
    • Day of the Triffids
    • Farenheit 451

ReputationRep:
    I'd go with Farenheit 451. Censorship is the obvious overlap between it and 1984, but there are lot of more subtle parallels.

ReputationRep:
    I think that comparison between Children of Men would be the most interesting, but not necessarily suitable for a sixth form essay.

I would instantly exclude The Road, The Wasteland, and A Clockwork Orange as I feel they would be very difficult to compare meaningfully or they do not offer enough content to compare.

I think that Farenheit 451, A Handmaid's Tale, and Brave New World would be the best candidates. Brave New World would be the one I would choose of those three. Aldous Huxley is an excellent writer and historically the 'dystopian debate' has revolved around BNW and 1984.

ReputationRep:
    Fahrenheit 451 shares a lot of common ground with 1984 in terms of the abolishment and mutilation of language and the written word - as well as the Handmaid's Tale - which focuses more on the psychological impact of a 'Big Brother' state. Hope I helped!

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.