Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am undertaking the section 3 of my Chemistry coursework and I'm having problems writing the 'Uncertainty' section when calculating the percentage error of each step of my method.

I have investigated 5 different temperatures (0,10,20,30,40 and the error uncertainty is +-0.5degrees), and therefore have to calculate the percentage error of the reading. However, it just doesn't make sense when I put the values into the formula: (error uncertainty/reading)*100.

For example, when using 0degrees, I get (0.5/0)*100 which is impossible.

Could anyone explaing to me how to work it out and/or work it out for me please?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marseille013)
    Hi all,

I am undertaking the section 3 of my Chemistry coursework and I'm having problems writing the 'Uncertainty' section when calculating the percentage error of each step of my method.

I have investigated 5 different temperatures (0,10,20,30,40 and the error uncertainty is +-0.5degrees), and therefore have to calculate the percentage error of the reading. However, it just doesn't make sense when I put the values into the formula: (error uncertainty/reading)*100.

For example, when using 0degrees, I get (0.5/0)*100 which is impossible.

Could anyone explaing to me how to work it out and/or work it out for me please?

Thanks.
    Do it in Kelvin not celcius

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by langlitz)
    Do it in Kelvin not celcius
    But what would the error uncertainty be? Would it stay at +-0.5degrees or would it change, the latter option seems more logical but don't know about I would change that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marseille013)
    But what would the error uncertainty be? Would it stay at +-0.5degrees or would it change, the latter option seems more logical but don't know about I would change that
    The error does not change as the measurements/errors you made were always in kelvin really, you chose to express them as celcius. You should always use kelvin, it is the SI unit for temperature.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.