Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

International student here, kind of shocked to be holding a Birmingham offer (5 yr program). I also managed to get a Bristol interview but coming over to the UK again for the interview would be a big decision.

From what I understand, Bham is less expensive in terms of tuition and living expenses compared to Bristol. Is this true?

Is there any difference in program quality/reputation/graduate prospects between the two programs?

As someone new to UK, I've also learned recently of the existence of the "Bristol rahs" .... is this really a thing?

Any help appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camino82)
    Hi,

International student here, kind of shocked to be holding a Birmingham offer (5 yr program). I also managed to get a Bristol interview but coming over to the UK again for the interview would be a big decision.

From what I understand, Bham is less expensive in terms of tuition and living expenses compared to Bristol. Is this true?

Is there any difference in program quality/reputation/graduate prospects between the two programs?

As someone new to UK, I've also learned recently of the existence of the "Bristol rahs" .... is this really a thing?

Any help appreciated!
    Do you mind me asking what ur grades are?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camino82)
    Hi,

Any help appreciated!
    Yes, though if you're an international student I'm not sure how it could bother you. The only real bothersome thing about it is coming from a very much not ridiculously wealthy area of the UK and experiencing an entirely unexpected kind of culture shock in one's own country. To you it would just be like meeting any other variety of native British student, I would have thought.

Plus Bristol is a wonderful place.

Edit: PS, no-one but a fellow international applicant will know about tuition fee differences, if there are any. The two programmes will both cost £9k for a home student.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback.

Is it generally more expensive to live in Bristol? (rent, groceries, etc)

@Jonny:My high school grades, although old, were solid. Don't know exact but I'd say my average was at least about 93%....between 93% and 95%, I can't remember.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol rahs are definitely a thing. Nothing wrong with it and some are actually a good laugh, well good to laugh at if nothing else.
    As Ronove says though, you aren't likely to notice it or for it to even bother you.
    Personally I found the city better than Birmingham.

If you've got an interview I'd attend it. At the very least you have another option and given the cost of the degrees themselves, I'd imagine the cost of a flight to pale in comparison. When you're paying so much to have the privilege to spend 5 years in a city then I'd take the opportunity to make sure you like it.

Edit: it's slightly more expensive in Bristol. Perhaps an extra £50 a month across everything.
    Also where you get your degree from does not matter at all.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.