C1 MATHS HELP: Surds - Where did I go wrong?

Watch
creativebuzz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
This is my working:

2/r3 – r6/r72

=2/r3 – r6/3r8

=6r8-r18/3r24

=6(2 x r2) – (3r2)/3r24

=12r2 – 3r2/3(2r6)

=9r2/6r6

=3r2/2r6

=3r2/2r3 x r2

=3/2r2

Attached files
BobLoblawLawBlog
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by creativebuzz)
This is my working:

2/r3 – r6/r72

=2/r3 – r6/3r8

=6r8-r18/3r24

=6(2 x r2) – (3r2)/3r24

=12r2 – 3r2/3(2r6)

=9r2/6r6

=3r2/2r6

=3r2/2r3 x r2

=3/2r2

That seems correct to me. Although I'm guessing they probably want you to rationalise the denominator on your final answer.

Also, it may have been a bit quicker if you simplified each fraction further before expressing it as a single fraction. (e.g. \sqrt{72} = 6\sqrt{2}).
creativebuzz
Rep:
?
(Original post by brittanna)
That seems correct to me. Although I'm guessing they probably want you to rationalise the denominator on your final answer.

Also, it may have been a bit quicker if you simplified each fraction further before expressing it as a single fraction. (e.g. \sqrt{72} = 6\sqrt{2}).
I appreciate that I should have simplified earlier on but, even if I didn't and if everything I did in my working out was mathematically correct, why did I not get 1/2r3 (the correct answer) as my end result? :/
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I appreciate that I should have simplified earlier on but, even if I didn't and if everything I did in my working out was mathematically correct, why did I not get 1/2r3 (the correct answer) as my end result? :/
You made a small mistake in the very last line. You should have \sqrt{3} there rather than \sqrt{2}.

Are you sure the answer is definitely \frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}? As I'm getting \frac{3}{2\sqrt{3}} as the answer, which is what you'll get when you correct that small mistake.
creativebuzz
Rep:
?
You made a small mistake in the very last line. You should have \sqrt{3} there rather than \sqrt{2}.

Are you sure the answer is definitely \frac{1}{2\sqrt{3}}? As I'm getting \frac{3}{2\sqrt{3}} as the answer, which is what you'll get when you correct that small mistake.
Oh yeah, I see that now! I thought it was that too but according to the Soloman Answer sheet, this is the answer:
Attached files
Magnesium
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Oh yeah, I see that now! I thought it was that too but according to the Soloman Answer sheet, this is the answer:
You could also do it a different way by rationalising the denominator on both surds, making both denominators equal to 24 and you get r3/2 - same as the answer sheet

ie. 2/r3 - r6/r72
= 2/r3 - r6/3r8
= 2r3/3 - r48/24
= 16r3/24 - 4r3/24
= 12r3/24
= 1/2 r3
= r3/2

BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, this is correct. This is because \displaystyle\frac{3}{2\sqrt{3}} * \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}.
creativebuzz
Rep:
?
Yeah, this is correct. This is because \displaystyle\frac{3}{2\sqrt{3}} * \frac{\sqrt{3}}{\sqrt{3}} = \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2}.
So where did I go wrong in my working out (except for the last line issue)
BobLoblawLawBlog
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
So where did I go wrong in my working out (except for the last line issue)
You didn't, you just have the square root on the bottom, and they have it on the top. They're the same answer.
creativebuzz
Rep:
?
You didn't, you just have the square root on the bottom, and they have it on the top. They're the same answer.
Oh yeaah! Thank god, I kept going over it think I made a mistake somewhere in between
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (195)
29.77%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (109)
16.64%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
8.85%
I want to meet current students (55)
8.4%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.79%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (128)
19.54%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.8%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (21)
3.21%

Watched Threads