Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Raising the drinking age to 21 Watch

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be better for society.

University without the introduction (for many) to booze would be better for everyone in the long run. Better for the individuals health and better for our NHS.

ReputationRep:
    Changing the legal drinking age isn't going to stop teenagers getting drunk, look at America with a drinking age of 21, you still get drunk college idiots who are underage.

To stop drunk idiots on the street we need to inform them early on about drinking and enforce harsher punishments for binge drinking.

I'd anything changing the drinking age is just going to put pubs out of business.

ReputationRep:
    no - the drinking age should be 16 - in germany, the netherlands, luxembourg, denmark (etc) where the drinking age is lower, there are either the same levels of alcohol-based crime, or lower levels of drink-related crime. just educate people about alcohol from an early age, just like sex, and these problems will go away (relatively). you can't solve life's issues through bans. usually kids today can access alcohol relatively easy anyway, so it's less about the law but rather the knowledge. we could, in principle, have no drinking age, but if we had an enlightened society where we actually teach our kids about the dangers of alcohol (just like the dangers of sports, cars, foods, etc) then the "danger" of alcohol ceases to be problematic in practice

ReputationRep:
    You just need to look at the USA to see why that is not a good idea.

ReputationRep:
    This is my British country and we are not raising the drinking age.

We have a diverse drinking age. If you have an adult and you're having a meal, you can have a drink in public. I like some of the other countries where you can be 16 to drink in a bar/pub because your consumption can be controlled.

ReputationRep:
    Challenge 21/25 is already in effect.

ReputationRep:
    I'm tee-total but I really don't see that doing anything beneficial. In fact if anything I agree with zippity doodah that it should be lowered to 16.

ReputationRep:
    That will totally stop 18 year olds drinking, for sure
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. The drinking age is fine as it is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zippity.doodah)
    no - the drinking age should be 16 - in germany, the netherlands, luxembourg, denmark (etc) where the drinking age is lower, there are either the same levels of alcohol-based crime, or lower levels of drink-related crime. just educate people about alcohol from an early age, just like sex, and these problems will go away (relatively). you can't solve life's issues through bans. usually kids today can access alcohol relatively easy anyway, so it's less about the law but rather the knowledge. we could, in principle, have no drinking age, but if we had an enlightened society where we actually teach our kids about the dangers of alcohol (just like the dangers of sports, cars, foods, etc) then the "danger" of alcohol ceases to be problematic in practice
    I could see this working too.

My whole point is the sudden release into the wild world of alcohol at freshers for what seems like the majority of people.

I agree that possibly lowering the limit could take away the mystic of booze but you need guidance by educated parents if you do that.

ReputationRep:
    This wouldn't stop underage drinking, would be terrible for business and is generally a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Increasing the drinking age to 21 will mean all those under 21 won't drink?

Well the criminalization of drugs has certainly had a massive impact in making sure everyone stops taking them, so i can't see increasing the drinking age not working! /sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    Lower it. When alcohol is no longer the great mystery it is to kids, it won't be as attractive to procure.

ReputationRep:
    Tell them it increases mouth and throat cancer. Still want to sip that poison?

ReputationRep:
    We live in a world nowadays where changing the legal drinking age wouldn't have that much of an effect. Some kids from about age 14 upwards appear to be drinking regularly anyway.

Take out the word 'legal' for a second, and the true story will be that everyone's 'drinking age' is different, and I believe it doesn't make that much difference whether you can 'legally' buy it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. They should lower the drinking age to 16 so teenagers can get drunk during GCSE exams. That's a great idea. Nothing like swigging a can of Stella whilst doing some trigonometry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kumon)
    Tell them it increases mouth and throat cancer. Still want to sip that poison?
    I know, you would think that would make them stop but it doesn't seem to.

Same with cigarettes, show a damaged oesophagus or black lung due to smoking and you would think that would stop them but no, even some doctors and nurses still smoke, I don't get it.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abou...l-cancer#smoke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    Yes. They should lower the drinking age to 16 so teenagers can get drunk during GCSE exams. That's a great idea. Nothing like swigging a can of Stella whilst doing some trigonometry.
    hahahahahhaha!!!!!! +5 rep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I think it would be better for society.

University without the introduction (for many) to booze would be better for everyone in the long run. Better for the individuals health and better for our NHS.

You know what is even better for individuals health? Banning all alcohol and junk food.

Lets arrest anyone who enters a pub or McDonalds wouldn't we all end up being healthier?

I don't care whether its better for the NHS, the taxes on alcohol makes up for more what the NHS spends on alcohol related illnesses.

Perhaps you may find it more comfortable in Saudi Arabia. Much less alcohol there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Messiah Complex)
    Yep, because no 16 year olds drink at the moment :rolleyes:

It isn't illegal to drink at 16 or younger anyway, just to buy it.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.