Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Raising the drinking age to 21 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcatas)
    You know what is even better for individuals health? Banning all alcohol and junk food.

Lets arrest anyone who enters a pub or McDonalds wouldn't we all end up being healthier?

I don't care whether its better for the NHS, the taxes on alcohol makes up for more what the NHS spends on alcohol related illnesses.

Perhaps you may find it more comfortable in Saudi Arabia. Much less alcohol there.
    I don't think so. I'm all for the freedom my homeland offers me, ta very much.

I'm not against banning drink or anything for that matter, all I am pointing out is how bad for society getting plastered is.

I don't like your comment highlighted above. So its ok for thousands of people not to get their knee replacements or heart ops or whatever because money has been spent on watching over drunks sobering up, facilities at A&E being diverted, not to mention the abuse staff receive and the police having to nanny them when they could be catching criminals elsewhere?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    I don't think so. I'm all for the freedom my homeland offers me, ta very much.

I'm not against banning drink or anything for that matter, all I am pointing out is how bad for society getting plastered is.

I don't like your comment highlighted above. So its ok for thousands of people not to get their knee replacements or heart ops or whatever because money has been spent on watching over drunks sobering up, facilities at A&E being diverted, not to mention the abuse staff receive and the police having to nanny them when they could be catching criminals elsewhere?
    I was being facetious with the first two lines I wrote.

If you are suggesting that drunks should be responsible for their own behaviour then I agree. Other people should not be forced in paying for others behaviour.

But this is true how do you defend that millions of people are forced to pay for the knee replacements or heart ops for other people otherwise face the prospect of jail?

Many of these people will never cost the NHS that much over their lifetime compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcatas)
    I was being facetious with the first two lines I wrote.

If you are suggesting that drunks should be responsible for their own behaviour then I agree. Other people should not be forced in paying for others behaviour.

But this is true how do you defend that millions of people are forced to pay for the knee replacements or heart ops for other people otherwise face the prospect of jail?

Many of these people will never cost the NHS that much over their lifetime compared to others.

Compassion for people who are ill?

Paying taxes to have an NHS so that money is available to pay for the medical needs for people who are in pain, due to no fault of their own?

I don't think the two are comparable.

ReputationRep:
    Compassion for people who are ill?

Paying taxes to have an NHS so that money is available to pay for the medical needs for people who are in pain, due to no fault of their own?

I don't think the two are comparable.
    Compassion usually implies it is voluntary. I have no problem with this and commend those who would.

ReputationRep:
    Reduce it to 16 would be infinitely more sensible.

ReputationRep:
    I think it would be better for society.

University without the introduction (for many) to booze would be better for everyone in the long run. Better for the individuals health and better for our NHS.
    Most people drink underage anyway so I don't think it would make much difference. I can't imagine how painfully boring uni would be without alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wade-)
    Most people drink underage anyway so I don't think it would make much difference. I can't imagine how painfully boring uni would be without alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do they? I don't know if the majority who go to Uni do drink a lot before they go. As Prince William said you either leave uni an alcoholic or married. Why not try to discourage the alcoholic and make uni more about other stuff than drinking?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...new-york-visit

ReputationRep:
    Do they? I don't know if the majority who go to Uni do drink a lot before they go. As Prince William said you either leave uni an alcoholic or married. Why not try to discourage the alcoholic and make uni more about other stuff than drinking?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2...new-york-visit
    My whole group of friends grew up drinking at parties, the same for my girlfriend and most of my best friends from uni. I'm honesty if I met someone at uni who hadn't had alcohol I'd find it strange. Stuff like what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.