Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    As in my other posts I'm starting a CertHE in February in Mathematical sciences starting with MU123 and M140, I did GCSE Maths last year and got a grade D. Would my maths logic be sufficient enough to start both these courses?

I don't think I'll struggle with MU123 but M140 just seems daunting to me. I've started to enjoy math so I'm going to study hard as I got a lot of free time so hopefully I'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    The OU level 1 courses are supposed to be designed so people without GCSEs can start studying them so in theory it should be possible but they usually cover a fair bit to get everyone up to speed for level 2. I would personally worry about a D in GCSE Maths but as long as you are committed I don't see why it shouldn't be possible. If you enjoy the subject, which you seem to do, then that's half the battle!
    I didn't do these modules as part of my degree as I took older modules so can't be specific I'm afraid. But I found level 1 not so bad but I had Maths up to A level so most of it was brushing up my memory.
    I would point out that there are usually some 'are you ready for' documents for modules which may have practice questions and name topics which would be beneficial to know or learn prior to starting study so you know what to expect.
    But don't be afraid to ask your tutor if you don't understand something, even if it's repeated (took me a few times to grasp some things) and the forums an be helpful for people to bat around ideas & perspectives. Also online tutorials can help things click and you can attend other tutors too who may have a different way of explaining things.
    Are you doing both modules at the same time?
    Good luck though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.