Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I know people have posted stuff along these lines before but reading over those threads didn't give me much helpful info on anything
    I'm currently taking my AS levels and really want to go into film (screenwriting/producing ideally) later on in life.
    I'm so confused about what to do in terms of uni - would you say it is worth getting a degree in film studies? I've heard countless people say that it's a useless degree which employers will look down on and will likely not get me any work! Also, most of the film courses that I've looked at in the UK, such as King's College, Exeter and Warwick, seem to be veery theory-based with almost no practical element to them, is this true?
    I have also looked at unis in America such as USC and UCLA but the cost is quite off-putting... Also I'm not sure I have any chance of getting in, partly since the way they assess applicants seems to be very different to here (looking a lot more at extracurriculars), and I don't have much to say for that that would be relevant to film studies...
    What is your opinion on this? It would be great to hear from someone that's currently studying Film

ReputationRep:
    Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses.

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by west1806)
    Hi everyone,
    I know people have posted stuff along these lines before but reading over those threads didn't give me much helpful info on anything
    I'm currently taking my AS levels and really want to go into film (screenwriting/producing ideally) later on in life.
    I'm so confused about what to do in terms of uni - would you say it is worth getting a degree in film studies? I've heard countless people say that it's a useless degree which employers will look down on and will likely not get me any work! Also, most of the film courses that I've looked at in the UK, such as King's College, Exeter and Warwick, seem to be veery theory-based with almost no practical element to them, is this true?
    I have also looked at unis in America such as USC and UCLA but the cost is quite off-putting... Also I'm not sure I have any chance of getting in, partly since the way they assess applicants seems to be very different to here (looking a lot more at extracurriculars), and I don't have much to say for that that would be relevant to film studies...
    What is your opinion on this? It would be great to hear from someone that's currently studying Film
    Applying for a film degree in 2015!

There are two types of film degrees: Film Production or Film Studies. Film studies is very pratical based whereas film studies is theory based. If you want to work in industry I recommend that you do a film PRODUCTION degree. It depends on the university as to whether you get work or not. Quality universities with top film production degrees such as AUB, Westminster and Ravensborne do have 100% employability. OP have you looked at film degrees at academic universites that you 50% theory and 50% pratical work such as Reading and UEA?

Your not going to get into a film school in the states. Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    The top three courses for film in the UK are at Arts university bournemouth, Norwich arts (which is the #1 arts institute in the UK) and Westminster if you want a university rather than an arts university.

You will ALWAYS get **** for doing film, I've been dealing with the same rubbish for years since I decided I also wanted to go into film which is why I ideally want to go to an arts institute so there are less ignorant people.

The main issue with a film degree is that it's true you don't necessarily need one to find work in the business but if you do get a degree, you get supervised experience, intense learning and experience in the industry and a show reel. Plus just having a degree will get you more job opportunities, although perhaps not in film, than not having a degree so it's definitely worth it!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.