Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'd like to take a gap year between finishing my a levels and starting uni and I was hoping someone would be able to answer a few questions I have..

It's a while away yet but I have my heart set on the idea and I'd like to find out as soon as possible whether it's achievable

First of all, has anyone had any experience with RealGap? They do a full gap year which caught my eye and before committing to it I was wondering if someone knew what they're like...

Also, what about travelling alone? If I go with a company like RealGap I would be with a group for some of it but then on my own for the remainder. Do you think it would be better if I had a friend with me? I've mentioned it to one who is keen, but I'm not sure her parents will let her go through with it...

I'd be interested to hear about any of your gap year/travel experiences, whether you've been there and done it or or thinking about it and planning it so please comment on the thread

Thanks for any responses- they're really appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning a 2015/2016 gap year most likely on my own. I keep swinging between thinking really positively then thinking oh my god what am I thinking. I want to travel as much as I can (Canada, South America, NZ , India, China, nepal) but I'm scared I won't meet anyone or I'll get into trouble somewhere. I also plan on volunteering with a charity running community projects in Kenya for a couple of months
    I would go with a company like realgap but their trips are soo expensive
    I'll probably use a website like helpx to save money and properly experience other cultures.
    Have you got any plans?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll be going the year after you (2016/2017). I know what you mean about the cost, especially when everything isn't included, but I think I'd be too scared to go completely alone! 😁 The RealGap itinerary is India, Thailand, Australia, NZ, Fiji and USA which are all places I would love to experience. It will cost waaayyyy too much for me to anymore travelling that year but I'd love to visit places like China and Japan and volunteer abroad in the holidays between uni 😄 How do your parents/guardians feel about it? My Mum is quite supportive of the idea but she says people she's spoken to say they think I'd be too young and I think she may be getting influenced...😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know, I may do a short trip to get to know people then do the rest on my own. That's a good combo of places I will do more travelling in uni holidays if I can but I'm hoping to do Medicine and students I've talked to have said they only get 3 weeks summer holiday so I can't imagine getting much travelling done.
    My parents are against it but they've pretty much accepted it, although my mum seems to think that I'm able to un-defer my application even though I sent it off months ago haha. I think they're just worried. That's a shame, see if you can find any articles or posts on the Internet about solo travelling being fine maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan006)
    I know, I may do a short trip to get to know people then do the rest on my own. That's a good combo of places I will do more travelling in uni holidays if I can but I'm hoping to do Medicine and students I've talked to have said they only get 3 weeks summer holiday so I can't imagine getting much travelling done.
    My parents are against it but they've pretty much accepted it, although my mum seems to think that I'm able to un-defer my application even though I sent it off months ago haha. I think they're just worried. That's a shame, see if you can find any articles or posts on the Internet about solo travelling being fine maybe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That sounds good 😊 I hope to study engineering- I could never be a doctor! Good luck with it. I'll have a look around. Thank you for your help. And you should go for it! It'll be a good experience that you'll remember forever...😜

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.