Turn on thread page Beta

Do I have to send a cover letter with an application form? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm applying for a Christmas Temporary job at various shops such as Gap, Clarkes, Waterstones... Some of them require an application form, but none of them mention anything about a cover letter. Should I write one?
    Also, do I have to include references in my CV as I've heard conflicting advice :confused:
    Thanks in advance,

Luba

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt bother with a cover letter as it probably wont get read. Only put referees if you really have nothing else to say, have a work experiance section though and say references available on request. Your CV should only be a page long as well.

ReputationRep:
    No, if they've supplied an application form them you don't need to include a covering letter. And same as supernova, just say 'references available on request' instead of actually detailing them - they get those sort of details from you one you've had an interview.

(ooh, and I noticed your applying for waterstones - I work there. We don't have an application form so definately do a covering letter detailing the hours that you're available to work. And make your CV look good because they're quite picky about it).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 20, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.