Turn on thread page Beta

How Many Years Do the Student Loans Company Fund You? - Help Needed watch

    • Thread Starter

    Hello, I have an enquiry regarding student Loans and would really appreciate if anyone would take their time to answer this question please.

    I am in the process of applying via UCAS for a (top-up) BSc (Hons) course for 2015 September. Instead of going straight into the third final year for my degree, I have to join the second years because my chosen University have said I have to apply for their second year if I want to study my desired course.

    I have already received the Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants for the previous two years of HND. I would like to know would I be funded if I apply for another 2 years of study for the full degree. Would I be entitled for Tuition Fee Loans, Maintenance Loans and Maintenance Grants for the 2 years I am about to study.

    I have already contacted Student Finance about this and some woman has said I would receive the length of my course + 1 'false start' year - any years I have done.

    I didn’t understand the above and asked her to explain it again which she replied with annoyed tone of voice what’s their not to understand. So I didn’t bother and thanked her for her help and hanged-up. It was probably was my fault that she was annoyed because I’m too stupid to understand .

    From my understanding I would be funded for the two years for the full degree if I join the second year, but will need to self-fund for any resits, or I won’t be funded for the third final year if I fail my second year and have to take a resit?

    So can somebody help me for the above question please? So I don’t have to call them again (likely will need too). Sorry for any grammar mistakes and thank you.

    OK, well it's probably not good news, I'm afraid. We can feed your details into the calculation you were given. The detailed form of it is:

    Number of years of new course (minus) Number of years of previous uni-level study (plus) One year = Remaining years of entitlement to SF funding.

    Your new course will be 2 years long. You have already studied at uni level for 2 years. So the calculation gives you 2-2+1=1 year of SF funding remaining. This will be given in the second year of your top-up course. You will have to fund the first year yourself (including tuition fees) yourself, apart from a minimum SF Maintenance Loan.
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.