Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Yesterday, totally out of the blue my boyfriend dumped me. His reasoning being he thought he loved me but he's realised he actually didn't. This has left me completely shocked and heartbroken as things were literally going perfectly, we got along really well and weren't arguing at all. Im finding it really hard to understand how you can go from thinking you love someone to realising actually you don't within a matter of days, as he was absolutely fine with me up until Christmas eve when he was just being blunt with me, until yesterday when he finally came out with it.
    On Saturday night i was a bit drunk and ended up sending him some soppy texts saying i want to spend the rest of my life with him so I'm wondering if I've scared him off with the whole commitment thing and he's just massively overthinking things and getting cold feet. Literally we were so so perfect together I'm finding it all massively hard to comprehend and I'm utterly heartbroken. I just need a bit of an opinion on the matter.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, you'll find someone else to commit to.
    Or did you mean to commit? Y'know, you can't use "drunk" as an excuse all the time

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, this is a pretty standard breakup. A very intense period leads, for some reason, to cold feet. I have experienced this at Xmas time too. It's bloody tough I know. All I can suggest is to find solace in friends, music, beer/wiine and ultimately new love. Things do get better and all will be well in the end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    On Saturday night i was a bit drunk and ended up sending him some soppy texts saying i want to spend the rest of my life with him so I'm wondering if I've scared him off with the whole commitment thing and he's just massively overthinking things and getting cold feet. Literally we were so so perfect together I'm finding it all massively hard to comprehend and I'm utterly heartbroken. I just need a bit of an opinion on the matter.
    Not being mean, but you might as well have just sprayed man repellent on yourself.

You can't go into every relationship thinking it's going to last forever and then being surprised (which is not to say upset) that it ends. Most people don't think a relationship is going to last forever (i.e. marriage etc), so when you came out with that, he did the natural and probably the kindest thing.

It's not that he's scared of commitment, he just didn't want to at this stage in his life, and not with you (as you are now).

ReputationRep:
    If he said that he doesn't actually love you like he thought he did then there is your answer, better to be with someone when you both love each other rather than one loving the other and the other partner not having an interest.

When you get dumped you just have to move on.
    Yeah..go a bit soppy for a bit and then come to your senses.
    You clearly weren't perfect for each other, if you were you'd be together now and no one would be dumping anyone.

I'm sorry this has happened, it happened to me today so I know how you feel.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2014
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.