Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I applied for uni ages ago through ucas, but teachers forced me to do EPQ and i hate it, stupidly I carried on doing.

In my Personal statement I said I was doing EPQ in a short sentence.
    But will that affect my uni offers (I got offers already) But after results day will it affect the offers?

I really dont wanna do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeorgeAndLennie)
    I applied for uni ages ago through ucas, but teachers forced me to do EPQ and i hate it, stupidly I carried on doing.

In my Personal statement I said I was doing EPQ in a short sentence.
    But will that affect my uni offers (I got offers already) But after results day will it affect the offers?

I really dont wanna do it.
    Most universities view the EPQ as a final decider, i.e. it might affect those borderline decisions (such as - shall we make an offer to this candidate or another? shall we confirm a place for this candidate or another who have both just missed out on the grades required for the offer? etc....) but it is still unusual for an offer to require a particular grade in the EPQ.

On the other hand, it is quite usual for candidates to cut down on their overall commitments in the A2 year to concentrate on getting the best grades they can.

So, if you want to drop the EPQ, then concentrating on your main subjects is a perfectly valid reason, but you must communicate that decision to the universities.

This is what UCAS has to say (at http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...making-changes ):

"Changes to exams and courses
    Let us know at [email protected] right away if any of your exam details change
    – let your universities/colleges know too.

• That's anything from exam subjects, modules or units to awarding/examining bodies and centre numbers - but not new results. For information on what to do when you get your results (including resits).
    • Conditional offers are usually based on exam details, so these changes might affect offers or decisions.
    • It's important to tell us, as it could delay the processing of your exam results if you don't, and if your results can't be confirmed you might not get your place.

If anything affects your results write as soon as possible to each university/college that's considering your application.

• Explain the situation and include a supporting letter from your school, college or centre, as well as your doctor if it's medical."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holmstock)
    Most universities view the EPQ as a final decider, i.e. it might affect those borderline decisions (such as - shall we make an offer to this candidate or another? shall we confirm a place for this candidate or another who have both just missed out on the grades required for the offer? etc....) but it is still unusual for an offer to require a particular grade in the EPQ.

On the other hand, it is quite usual for candidates to cut down on their overall commitments in the A2 year to concentrate on getting the best grades they can.

So, if you want to drop the EPQ, then concentrating on your main subjects is a perfectly valid reason, but you must communicate that decision to the universities.

This is what UCAS has to say (at http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works...making-changes ):

• That's anything from exam subjects, modules or units to awarding/examining bodies and centre numbers - but not new results. For information on what to do when you get your results (including resits).
    • Conditional offers are usually based on exam details, so these changes might affect offers or decisions.
    • It's important to tell us, as it could delay the processing of your exam results if you don't, and if your results can't be confirmed you might not get your place.

If anything affects your results write as soon as possible to each university/college that's considering your application.

• Explain the situation and include a supporting letter from your school, college or centre, as well as your doctor if it's medical."
    Thank you so much, I'm convinced I can easily drop it now. Most of my Unis don't even care for EPQ so I really don't wanna do it.
    This will give me more time to study on my other subjects which are more worthwhile
    So I just contact that link you gave me to UCAS and tell them I'm considering dropping it?

(Btw my teachers said it's too late to drop it) but I think it's bs.
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much, I'm convinced I can easily drop it now. Most of my Unis don't even care for EPQ so I really don't wanna do it.
    This will give me more time to study on my other subjects which are more worthwhile
    So I just contact that link you gave me to UCAS and tell them I'm considering dropping it?

Yeah you should be fine I dropped mine a week or so before it had to be handed in, I just emailed my firm and insurance beforehand to make sure it would be okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

That's good

You must contact the universities that you applied to - have a look on the relevant department's website for each university to find contact information for the admissions tutors in your subject.

Which board would award your EPQ if you continued? You could check with them about the terms and conditions of the qualification process.

ReputationRep:
    That's good

You must contact the universities that you applied to - have a look on the relevant department's website for each university to find contact information for the admissions tutors in your subject.

Which board would award your EPQ if you continued? You could check with them about the terms and conditions of the qualification process.
    I emailed ucas telling them now and they sent an automated email so I should be receiving that within 5 days

And all of my Uni's don't really care for EPQ and don't take it into account; So it won't affect my offers right? (Of course I am going to email them tomorrow when I can 1 by 1 then that's done)

Thank you guys, you have all been helpful, personal issues at home and stuff just keep my anxiety rising every time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    Yeah you should be fine I dropped mine a week or so before it had to be handed in, I just emailed my firm and insurance beforehand to make sure it would be okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you, your lucky you did it before you applied (Or I think you mean before the EPQ deadline?) haha but still getting positive replies from this thread assures me I can drop it and just contact the universities to let them know I can do that!
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, your lucky you did it before you applied (Or I think you mean before the EPQ deadline?) haha but still getting positive replies from this thread assures me I can drop it and just contact the universities to let them know I can do that!
    You're welcome I did mean a week before the EPQ deadline yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Changing Skies)
    You're welcome I did mean a week before the EPQ deadline yep
    Holy crap! You literally just changed it after 3-4 months of EPQ haha you're too epic. If I did that at my college the teachers would look at you and be like "scum"

Thank you! I'm going to contact my universities tomorrow and tell them
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Holy crap! You literally just changed it after 3-4 months of EPQ haha you're too epic. If I did that at my college the teachers would look at you and be like "scum"

Thank you! I'm going to contact my universities tomorrow and tell them
    Haha yep :lol: I was awful and would complain to the teacher every lesson about how my other subjects were more important so I shouldn't have to spend time on it some teachers agreed I shouldn't be forced but a couple were a bit annoyed

Great!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If it's the deadline stressing you out don't worry, teacher don't have to send it off until May. They're just stressing you out so they have more time to mark it, my teacher wanted it on December 10th fully completed so we could do the presentations after Christmas... Haha not happening, I know what I have to do and I'm doing it but you can't just say okay hand it in now because I feel like it. My friend did it last year and they were still prepared to mark and send it in April for the external May deadline. If they really needed it this early then we would get grades for it before august.

Edit: I'm with AQA so if you're with a different exam board, check their deadlines!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jagray)
    If it's the deadline stressing you out don't worry, teacher don't have to send it off until May. They're just stressing you out so they have more time to mark it, my teacher wanted it on December 10th fully completed so we could do the presentations after Christmas... Haha not happening, I know what I have to do and I'm doing it but you can't just say okay hand it in now because I feel like it. My friend did it last year and they were still prepared to mark and send it in April for the external May deadline. If they really needed it this early then we would get grades for it before august.

Edit: I'm with AQA so if you're with a different exam board, check their deadlines!
    It's just effort and needless work that I don't need to be doing as its not even a requirement for the universities (well some, but not my ones)

Im AQA aswell and we have till May too. But I really cba for it and the draft is due in January which I haven't started on lol
    I guess you could send it in early but if I leave it till late, I dont want it intefering with my other subjects and then lose track etc

I changed my mind anyway as ppl on this thread have told me I can contact them and easily I could drop it which saves me great hassle.

ReputationRep:
    It's just effort and needless work that I don't need to be doing as its not even a requirement for the universities (well some, but not my ones)

Im AQA aswell and we have till May too. But I really cba for it and the draft is due in January which I haven't started on lol
    I guess you could send it in early but if I leave it till late, I dont want it intefering with my other subjects and then lose track etc

I changed my mind anyway as ppl on this thread have told me I can contact them and easily I could drop it which saves me great hassle.
    I am doing it for the challenge and want to increase my report writing skills but my god is it boring. I suppose the more I do the quicker I'll get, I've done two 5000 reports before and got a B and an A and expect I'll have more to do in uni. I'm pretty sure my EPQ report and others are the only reason my firm gave me an offer as I struggle in exams, can't even get a C usually. So if your uni doesn't care or your course isn't big on writing you don't really need it, good luck!

ReputationRep:

I have told my form tutor I am dropping it however she's not letting me saying this is inappropriate and you cannot drop It, ur gonna have a meeting wit the principal
    this stupid course is affecting me what can I do????

ReputationRep:
    I have told my form tutor I am dropping it however she's not letting me saying this is inappropriate and you cannot drop It, ur gonna have a meeting wit the principal
    this stupid course is affecting me what can I do????
    Worst case - but probably unlikely - is that the school take the stance that you have agreed to do not only the A2s but also the EPQ, and that if you refuse to do the EPQ, it breaks the agreement and the school withdraws you from all your subjects - for instance, the school may have a policy of all candidates taking the EPQ, and they may feel that they have to make an example of those who do not comply with that policy.

Assuming that this is not the case, and that the school can agree in certain cases that it would be better to concentrate on the other subjects, you nevertheless need to choose your defences carefully. "Cba" etc are unlikely to win over those staff who might otherwise be willing to support you! On the other hand, you mentioned personal issues and stuff at home - could you perhaps get your parents/guardians to come and support you to talk to your form tutor/head teacher?

Your form tutor may be quite correct in saying that you have to persuade the head teacher to allow you to drop the EPQ, if the school's policy is that such decisions are to be dealt with at a higher level than the form tutor.

All the best, hopefully you will be able to persuade the school to see your point of view.

ReputationRep:
    At my school EPQ students have been dropping out like flies. The common practice here is to wait till you've sent off your sparkling personal statement, EPQ included, and THEN drop out. That way your application is more impressive to the universities so they're more likely to send an offer. As you might imagine the teachers aren't particularly happy about it though. As far as I'm aware no one bothers to alter their UCAS form, they just leave the EPQ grade as 'pending' till it shows up as a 'U' at the end of the year. By that point its too late and too trivial for the unis to make a fuss and they just assume you had good reason to drop it. Getting the offer is the tricky bit, after that all they care about is your school grades.

I know a guy who didn't write a word of his EPQ last year (not even the planning bit I hear) and got away with having it in his statement scott free. He was fortunate enough that no one asked about it in his interviews. His plan was to just ad lib if they did.

If you have an ounce of integrity about you, yet still want to get somethingout of those endless nights slaving over project proposal parts A-Z, I'd recommend doing what one of my friends did: scrap the EPQ and instead write about your 'independent research project', where you decided to pursue your interest in a subject area relevant to your degree and document your progress as practice for uni work, like a ****. She basically just stitched together the EPQ planning work and what she'd researched so far to make a compact little portfolio for her to drag along to interviews and the like. It was all unmarked, obviously, but I imagine that almost made it more impressive because it really made her look motivated outside of school.

ReputationRep:
    Worst case - but probably unlikely - is that the school take the stance that you have agreed to do not only the A2s but also the EPQ, and that if you refuse to do the EPQ, it breaks the agreement and the school withdraws you from all your subjects - for instance, the school may have a policy of all candidates taking the EPQ, and they may feel that they have to make an example of those who do not comply with that policy.

Assuming that this is not the case, and that the school can agree in certain cases that it would be better to concentrate on the other subjects, you nevertheless need to choose your defences carefully. "Cba" etc are unlikely to win over those staff who might otherwise be willing to support you! On the other hand, you mentioned personal issues and stuff at home - could you perhaps get your parents/guardians to come and support you to talk to your form tutor/head teacher?

Your form tutor may be quite correct in saying that you have to persuade the head teacher to allow you to drop the EPQ, if the school's policy is that such decisions are to be dealt with at a higher level than the form tutor.

All the best, hopefully you will be able to persuade the school to see your point of view.
    The thing is 4 people have dropped out already so there is no agreement and I was told there isn't an agreement where I have to stick to it
    and surely it's might right It's not like a full A level why am i going to sacrifice something like this when I have to focus on my real A levels its not fair and I dont have time for it.
    If people can drop out so can I.

ReputationRep:
    The thing is 4 people have dropped out already so there is no agreement and I was told there isn't an agreement where I have to stick to it
    and surely it's might right It's not like a full A level why am i going to sacrifice something like this when I have to focus on my real A levels its not fair and I dont have time for it.
    If people can drop out so can I.
    Good, so it sounds as if you can go ahead and drop it if that is best for you - and bear in mind RabidDude's points too

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you just do it, but don't take it 100% srsly. I mean no universities will ever make an offer based on an EPQ. Instead they just see it as something that is good to show a well rounded person.

It doesn't even matter if you do badly - get 10/50, no matter what you get it will not affect your chances at uni. So why not do it but think that if u fail its not the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Most people have done their whole EPQ and so only have three levels to concentrate with by now. It was no big deal, a report, PowerPoint and log saying what you did... instead of moaning you could have just done it, at my college it's over now. Sorry if this sounded rude, the hardest part really is just the motivation to continue when everyone's dropping out or saying what's the point

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.