Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    The only thing I know I should do is integrate the dy/dx equation, but then I don't really know what to do afterwards :/

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I think you've uploaded the wrong image. The stuff you've typed does not match the image(text is integration, image is surds).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    I think you've uploaded the wrong image. The stuff you've typed does not match the image(text is integration, image is surds).
    Oops sorry, it's fixed now

ReputationRep:
    To find the equation of a tangent, you need to find the gradient of the tangent and have a point on the line. Does this help?

The first step is to find the equation of the tangent. Integrating comes later in the question.

ReputationRep:
    To find the equation of a tangent, you need to find the gradient of the tangent and have a point on the line. Does this help?

The first step is to find the equation of the tangent. Integrating comes later in the question.
    I managed to get the gradient but I didn't know what the y coordinate would be so I could form and equation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creativebuzz)
    I managed to get the gradient but I didn't know what the y coordinate would be so I could form and equation?
    The question says that the tangent passes through the origin, so you can use (0, 0) as a point on the tangent.

You need to use all of the information that the question gives you, because they will never give you more information than you need.

ReputationRep:
    F'(x) = 3(x)^2 - 4x -1

F(x) (which is equal to y) is just the integral of f'(x)

Then set up an equation involving y and sub in x=2 to get the y value innit :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermions)
    F'(x) = 3(x)^2 - 4x -1

F(x) (which is equal to y) is just the integral of f'(x)

Then set up an equation involving y and sub in x=2 to get the y value innit :yes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are left with an arbitrary constant of integration, so you have to use the other information given in the question to find the value of the constant and thus the equation of the line.

ReputationRep:
    You are left with an arbitrary constant of integration, so you have to use the other information given in the question to find the value of the constant and thus the equation of the line.
    Dayuum

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fermions)
    Dayuum

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That is exactly ​where I got stuck, I then thought of using the (0,0) coordinates with that method but that didn't give me the right answer and I don't understand why it didn't.. :/

ReputationRep:
    That is exactly ​where I got stuck
    So have you managed to find the equation of the tangent?

ReputationRep:
    So have you managed to find the equation of the tangent?
    Well my initial method was to
    1) find gradient = 3

2) then the eq of the tangent: y - 0 = 3(x -0)
    to give me y=3x

but I wasn't confident in my answer :/

ReputationRep:
    To do this you must first find the equation of the tangent. You would try to find the gradient l. You will find this to be 3 i think. You would use 3 and also the point (0,0) to form an equation of the tanget. You will find this to be y=3x. Next you would sub in 2 to get a y value of 6. Then you would integrate the given equation and subsitute in 2 as the x value and 6 as the y value to find the constant.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my initial method was to
    1) find gradient = 3

2) then the eq of the tangent: y - 0 = 3(x -0)
    to give me y=3x

but I wasn't confident in my answer :/
    Yes that is correct. Now use this to find the y coordinate at x = 2, then use this point to find an equation of the curve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNervous)
    To do this you must first find the equation of the tangent. You would try to find the gradient l. You will find this to be 3 i think. You would use 3 and also the point (0,0) to form an equation of the tanget. You will find this to be y=3x. Next you would sub in 2 to get a y value of 6. Then you would integrate the given equation and subsitute in 2 as the x value and 6 as the y value to find the constant.

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, then substitute this constant into the equation of the curve to find the final answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ImNervous)

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Brilliant! Positive rating given for thanks

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.