Is it normal to spend hours planning/writing essays? I really struggle... Watch

lightningdoritos
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Specifically for English Lit...I can never organise my thoughts and get demotivated by the difficulty of the essays so it takes me far too long to do them...
vanishingkind
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I know your feeling exactly!

I never really felt like i had difficulties with extended writing when i was younger, but i guess that was because the tasks were a lot easier. Now im in A level and they take me FOREVER (talking days here). I also have the problem of organising my thoughts and writing them into something coherant..i need to do at least 3 plans and 4 rough copies to get anything half decent -_- A lot of my friends that write the same essays as me take 1/3 of the time i do, and get similar marks.
..I actually need to start my geography essay today..*dies*

My advice to you would be : speak to your head of year, english teacher or guidance councillor about it, they might have some tips on how to make essay writing easier. For me, seperating the essay into clear structures makes it slightly less painful. Good luck!
lightningdoritos
Rep:
?
(Original post by vanishingkind)
I know your feeling exactly!

I never really felt like i had difficulties with extended writing when i was younger, but i guess that was because the tasks were a lot easier. Now im in A level and they take me FOREVER (talking days here). I also have the problem of organising my thoughts and writing them into something coherant..i need to do at least 3 plans and 4 rough copies to get anything half decent -_- A lot of my friends that write the same essays as me take 1/3 of the time i do, and get similar marks.
..I actually need to start my geography essay today..*dies*

My advice to you would be : speak to your head of year, english teacher or guidance councillor about it, they might have some tips on how to make essay writing easier. For me, seperating the essay into clear structures makes it slightly less painful. Good luck!
Ah you basically just described me! My teacher is rubbish and "doesn't have time" to help me
username877577
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I do think it's perfectly normal!

What I recommend is spending XYZ amount max to plan your essay (say an hour max)

Then write your essay in timed conditions (however long you would spend in an exam).

Tell your teacher you did it in times condition (with a detailed plan) and they should Mark it accordingly.

What I've found with my essay subjects is that teachers are a lot stricter with marking than the examiners themselves. This is because teachers expect you to spend a lot of time on your homework, and thus will want a lot more than the examiners.
lightningdoritos
Rep:
?
(Original post by Olympiad)
I do think it's perfectly normal!

What I recommend is spending XYZ amount max to plan your essay (say an hour max)

Then write your essay in timed conditions (however long you would spend in an exam).

Tell your teacher you did it in times condition (with a detailed plan) and they should Mark it accordingly.

What I've found with my essay subjects is that teachers are a lot stricter with marking than the examiners themselves. This is because teachers expect you to spend a lot of time on your homework, and thus will want a lot more than the examiners.
Thanks for the advice! Actually, my teacher is way to generous with marks, I ended up with a C in the summer when he'd been predicting me A's all year! (which is why I don't trust him anymore) I'll definitely try that though
vanishingkind
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your teacher doesn't sound like the best of help :<. I agree with Olympiad, timed essay writing practice would be a good idea. And if you can write it without any form of technology around you that would be best, cause I swear to god writing essays on my laptop is probably the worst idea I've had because of all the distractions! (too bad i'm out of lined paper!)

Since, (as you say) I just described you, i was wondering if you also tend to read too deeply into the essay title? Like I over complicate it and end up stressing myself out. Right now i'm writing an essay 'Britain has weather, not climate. Discuss' and all I can think is 'but climate is weather over a long period of time, how can you have one without the other??'

its going to be a long day..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance
    Contemporary Dance Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Nov '19
  • University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (153)
18.84%
Labour (347)
42.73%
Liberal Democrats (161)
19.83%
Green Party (45)
5.54%
Brexit Party (21)
2.59%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (3)
0.37%
SNP (11)
1.35%
Plaid Cymru (6)
0.74%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (1)
0.12%
Sinn Fein (1)
0.12%
SDLP (0)
0%
Ulster Unionist (1)