Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

how much time do you spend on these subjects? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't think of an appropriate title for this thread. Anyway, I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry and economics for A-level I was just wondering how do I get Oxbridge worthy grades? Seriously, should I start self-teaching the subjects as soon as I finish my GCSE's? Should I get a tutor? What subject is the hardest? I mean I know it's impossible to measure the difficulty of a subject but still, opinions would be appreciated. I'm going to be dropping economics at A2 so I'm not too fussed about it although I still want to do my best.

ReputationRep:
    Which subject are you thinking of applying for?
    I'm in year 13 and am doing/have done maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. I got the grades and applied to Cambridge for maths.

You don't need to work through the summer, just make sure you put the work in in the year. Only get a tutor if you feel you are struggling.
    I did AS maths in year 11 as preparation.
    For maths and physics, do lots of past paper questions/textbook questions. For chemistry, keep reading through your notes and the textbook.

For me, maths had the greatest jump up from GCSE, physics was least. I find chemistry most difficult.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    Which subject are you thinking of applying for?
    I'm in year 13 and am doing/have done maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics. I got the grades and applied to Cambridge for maths.

You don't need to work through the summer, just make sure you put the work in in the year. Only get a tutor if you feel you are struggling.
    I did AS maths in year 11 as preparation.
    For maths and physics, do lots of past paper questions/textbook questions. For chemistry, keep reading through your notes and the textbook.

For me, maths had the greatest jump up from GCSE, physics was least. I find chemistry most difficult.
    I'm debating between physics, chemistry, computer science and economics as a degree if that's what you're asking, and honestly I do not have the slightest clue on what I could do with these degree's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewytches)
    I couldn't think of an appropriate title for this thread. Anyway, I'm doing maths, physics, chemistry and economics for A-level I was just wondering how do I get Oxbridge worthy grades? Seriously, should I start self-teaching the subjects as soon as I finish my GCSE's? Should I get a tutor? What subject is the hardest? I mean I know it's impossible to measure the difficulty of a subject but still, opinions would be appreciated. I'm going to be dropping economics at A2 so I'm not too fussed about it although I still want to do my best.
    Well for starters it depends what you want to apply to do at oxbridge as to what oxbridge worthy grades are. My friend had a history offer A*AA another had a natsci offer A*A*A*AE so there's a huge variation.
    I did maths and chemistry (as well as biology, geography and german) and found that providing i went to class, did the work and then did the homework set (one piece per week max) i was fine. I then did revision for 6 weeks before the exams and that was plenty.
    I am now at university studying medicine so clearly it worked well enough to get the grades.
    I wouldn't get a tutor or begin trying to teach yourself. You'll need natural aptitude of a decent level to achieve top a level grades let things play out for a term or so before you worry about a tutor.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.