Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I am a third year medical student at Newcastle University, and I am considering intercalating during my medical degree, most likely after 4th year, but I am unsure of what I need to consider before intercalating, in terms of finances, how it works in terms of student finance (apparently student finance england only cover 4 years of our degree, so how would intercalating affect this?), and also, are there any websites dedicated to intercalating, and so choosing courses at different universities etc?

Still deciding on what area of medicine to intercalate in, so just need to thoroughly think about what I will go into

Thanks for all the help!

Rikki

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaRikki)
    Hey!

I am a third year medical student at Newcastle University, and I am considering intercalating during my medical degree, most likely after 4th year, but I am unsure of what I need to consider before intercalating, in terms of finances, how it works in terms of student finance (apparently student finance england only cover 4 years of our degree, so how would intercalating affect this?), and also, are there any websites dedicated to intercalating, and so choosing courses at different universities etc?

Still deciding on what area of medicine to intercalate in, so just need to thoroughly think about what I will go into

Thanks for all the help!

Rikki
    Have you seen this website? http://www.intercalate.co.uk/FAQs/

It refers you on to http://www.money4medstudents.org/finding-money for funding information

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaRikki)
    Hey!

Thanks for all the help!

Rikki
    If you want to intercalate after 4th year then that opens up opportunity to do a Masters. Student finance stuff becomes more complicated with that though. Basically once you are on your fifth year of study, fees up to £3,554 (or £9,000 if you are paying that now) are paid for by NHS bursary, you are eligible for a bursary for living costs and you can get a reduced loan from Student Finance England. I think, for Masters, you can't get anything, but perhaps this may change if they are planning on changing the rules in the future. But BSc remains funded the same as your main degree with NHS stuff. Then when you go into final year you get the NHS bursary again. NHS will fund up to two years study.

I think the most important things to consider are what you want to study and where. Do you want to do something general (like physiology) or specific (like respiratory science)? And do you want to stay at your parent uni or go external? These are really important as they can really influence the intercalation experience!

ReputationRep:
    On top of what others have mentioned if you're thinking about doing your intercalation at Newcastle there are a number of bursaries available to Newcastle students. These vary in size but some can be quite large (particularly oncology related ones).

ReputationRep:
    Just as the poster above said, there are lots of financial considerations to be made if you are going to do a masters and you will most likely require the bank of Mum and Dad for this so make you sure can afford it.
    Otherwise if you choose to do a BSc your degree will be entirely funded by the NHS (after 4th year) or SFC (before 4th year).

SFC maintenance loans are reduced after 4th year too. Another thing to consider.

I think intercalating is a great idea. It gives you a break from clinical medicine to do something you are genuinely (hopefully) interested in. It will help later on too when going for post-F2 jobs. I know lots of people who did not intercalate who regretted it because the competition for jobs.

Don't do it for the sake of it though. Do it only if you like the subject and think you can do well out of it.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 30, 2014
Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.