Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my AS year and my aspiration is to be a teacher. History is my passion and one topic I LOVE is the Crusades. As a teacher however, how much power will I have in deciding to teach that? Something tells me that I won't be able too unless the curriculum states and thank God, my current college teaches that. Thanks:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WWEfan)
    I'm currently in my AS year and my aspiration is to be a teacher. History is my passion and one topic I LOVE is the Crusades. As a teacher however, how much power will I have in deciding to teach that? Something tells me that I won't be able too unless the curriculum states and thank God, my current college teaches that. Thanks:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is common knowledge in the history teaching community that Michael Gove personally cobbled together much of the new history National Curriculum in his free time one weekend. Ministers decide what you teach.

ReputationRep:
    I'd reccomend having a read of the national curriculum (yes its long and boring, but you can skip a lot of it if you're just looking for subject specific stuff).

I looked at teaching History (decided on primary instead), and you are pretty restricted in what you teach, period-wise. Depending on the school you may be even MORE restricted as they may have you follow specific schemes of work rather than do your own for each period, but that's true of any subject/age. In private schools you have a lot more flexibility!

This doesn't have to put you off, though - the reason I didn't choose History was that I would find it too hard to have to simplify the subject. So you might find it just as rewarding, but less frustrating, to be teaching periods which you're less in love with, but in a subject you love.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.