Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Ok backstory, Currently taking Math/Biology/Chemistry/Geography By the time I found out I really hated Math and wanted to take French instead I was in too deep in the school year to drop math and switch out.(Plus my teacher won't let me drop it)
    So I'm guessing I have to take AS French/A2 Bio/A2 Chem/A2 Geog next year that means I'd have to take a third year solely for French A2. - Unless I can take AS + A2 at the same year (maybe drop Geography) My french isn't bad and I got an A* in my GCSEs so maybe I can do it?
    I'd like to apply to Manchester University - the only Uni I believe offers zoology with a modern language with Bristol as my second choice-
    Anyway my question-
    Should I apply to Uni on my second year or wait till it's my third. I talked to someone in the year above me and she said it's better to apply a year early.

Also Is it hard to get into Manchester?

Also some general advice would be awesome- I'm totally conflicted of what I should do - sorry for the long Bio and thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    first issue is do you want to do French in uni. if so im afraid you will need to do a level French if not you can drop maths at the end of the year and just do the other 3 subjects at a level. you will probably find many unis will do this combination but not as shown for example in Exeter you can study flexible combined honours in almost any subjects such as biological sciences and French. check out the various prospectuses or this type of course. whether could do French in a year I don't know but if you are then I suggest you drop geography and just do chem biol and French. you are likely to need AAA or higher a a level and provided you meet the entry requirements you most likely will receive an offer.

ReputationRep:
    if you got A* at GCSE then you may be able to do both AS and A2 in a year but it is difficult, especially in a language and so you may not fnd anywhere to let you do it. Also you are putting all your eggs in one basket as there only seems to be one course doing this. Howver you may want to check universities offering an American style major and minor - look into Surrey, King’s College London, Southampton, Sheffield, Keele and Worcester.

Generally universities like you to have done 3 A levels in one sitting so for that reason doing AS French and then a third year if you must to do A level French would seem the best option.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.