I need some advice- got no one to talk to

Watch
Nozomi832
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Ok backstory, Currently taking Math/Biology/Chemistry/Geography By the time I found out I really hated Math and wanted to take French instead I was in too deep in the school year to drop math and switch out.(Plus my teacher won't let me drop it)
So I'm guessing I have to take AS French/A2 Bio/A2 Chem/A2 Geog next year that means I'd have to take a third year solely for French A2. - Unless I can take AS + A2 at the same year (maybe drop Geography) My french isn't bad and I got an A* in my GCSEs so maybe I can do it?
I'd like to apply to Manchester University - the only Uni I believe offers zoology with a modern language with Bristol as my second choice-
Anyway my question-
Should I apply to Uni on my second year or wait till it's my third. I talked to someone in the year above me and she said it's better to apply a year early.

Also Is it hard to get into Manchester?

Also some general advice would be awesome- I'm totally conflicted of what I should do - sorry for the long Bio and thanks in advance.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
first issue is do you want to do French in uni. if so im afraid you will need to do a level French if not you can drop maths at the end of the year and just do the other 3 subjects at a level. you will probably find many unis will do this combination but not as shown for example in Exeter you can study flexible combined honours in almost any subjects such as biological sciences and French. check out the various prospectuses or this type of course. whether could do French in a year I don't know but if you are then I suggest you drop geography and just do chem biol and French. you are likely to need AAA or higher a a level and provided you meet the entry requirements you most likely will receive an offer.
parentlurker
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
if you got A* at GCSE then you may be able to do both AS and A2 in a year but it is difficult, especially in a language and so you may not fnd anywhere to let you do it. Also you are putting all your eggs in one basket as there only seems to be one course doing this. Howver you may want to check universities offering an American style major and minor - look into Surrey, King’s College London, Southampton, Sheffield, Keele and Worcester.

Generally universities like you to have done 3 A levels in one sitting so for that reason doing AS French and then a third year if you must to do A level French would seem the best option.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (60)
13.19%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (58)
12.75%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (175)
38.46%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (48)
10.55%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (90)
19.78%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (24)
5.27%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed