I did my Music Tech a levels a while back, and recently graduated from my audio production degree. I was recently contacted by a former student of mine who has just embarked on their AS Music Technology who asked for advice on what to choose for their multitrack recording. And it got me thinking so I thought about suggesting a discussing a few here, since I've seen a lot of students who've fallen short on their multitracks often from poor song choice more than anything else.
My first two important tips:
- Choose a track that you can record with the musicians around you. It's a bad idea to go for a track with a big sax solo if there's nobody around you who actually plays sax to the level needed.
- Choose a style where you can show off the best of your recording techniques. Metal is a famously bad choice since the examiners will likely mark you down on clarity, even though rough distortion and jam-packed mixes comes with the genre.
Some track ideas that if I were to go back and do my MT all over again I'd put into my consideration box:
- Ed Sheeran - Nina
- Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Tearjerker
- The Police - Message In A Bottle
- Robert Downey Jr. - Hannah
- Taylor Swift - Red
- Thirteen Senses - Into The Fire
- Boyce Avenue - Change Your Mind
- Gabrielle April - Home
x Turn on thread page Beta
MT Multitrack Suggestions watch
- Thread Starter
- 28-12-2014 23:37