Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How to avoid saying I love you. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The best thing you can do is tell her everything you've said here (though maybe not the 'she's not as important as these things' part). Say you want to take it slow, that you want to be with her and just her, but you don't want to get serious yet.

Then she'll be on the same page, and she can decide if she's happy to go at the same pace.

ReputationRep:
    Lie.

ReputationRep:
    She should dump you....

ReputationRep:
    She told you she loved you and you said ... "that's great" ... :facepalm2:

I'm not saying you should have said you loved her back, not at all, just you could have responded a tad more tactfully than that, such as going in for a kiss or something. She probably feels pretty embarrassed that she opened up to you and admitted her feelings only for you to respond so passively!

ReputationRep:
    You can try whispering 'Above you', really really softly.

ReputationRep:
    I lo...... I loooo....I lunn......I lunch. I am hungry.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at everyone trying to offer alternative responses to the first "I love you". Anything that's not "i love you too" is going to be a swift and brutal crushing blow to the feels that won't go unnoticed. Either say it back or have a frank talk to her about why you don't want to say it back.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AttitudeEvery)
    My girlfriend recently told me that she loved me, I said 'that's great' and changed the subject. Now, I like her and think she is great. However, I would not got so far as to say 'I love you to her'. There are other things that are more important to me than her, eg. my family and my degree. So is there anyway that I can avoid saying 'I love you' and such?
    Just say "ditto" or "Yeah, same here."

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend recently told me that she loved me, I said 'that's great' and changed the subject
    Legend

So is there anyway that I can avoid saying 'I love you' and such?
    I’ve been known to respond with the following, on occasion:

”I know” :smug: Followed by absolutely no attempt to change the subject

Seriously, continue to be a boss Never lower yourself to insincere mush, or abuse the ‘L’ word; self respect is important. Ignore advice about ‘taking it more slowly’, ‘talking about it’, or lying ~ there’s no ‘slowing down’ (or backtracking) for her if she loves you already and no need to talk about anything, you are perfectly entitled to feel what you feel, at your own pace; anything else is bullcrap

(Original post by Reptilian)
    Say I love YouTube and it'll sound like you're saying 'I love you too'
    Haha, kinda works!

(Original post by SassQueen13)
    Just be like..."Thanks, I love myself too "
    Ha, not bad, but I prefer my way

(Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    Anything that's not "i love you too" is going to be a swift and brutal crushing blow to the feels that won't go unnoticed
    They get over it

(Original post by thunder_chunky)
    Just say "ditto"
    ..and add "babes", for extra upwardly mobile Essex boy charm :danceboy:

Spoiler:
    Show
    :lolwut: :facepalm2:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Legend

Seriously, continue to be a boss Never lower yourself to insincere mush, or abuse the ‘L’ word; self respect is important. Ignore advice about ‘taking it more slowly’, ‘talking about it’, or lying ~ there’s no ‘slowing down’ (or backtracking) for her if she loves you already and no need to talk about anything, you are perfectly entitled to feel what you feel, at your own pace; anything else is bullcrap

Haha, kinda works!

They get over it

Spoiler:
    Show
    What was your way? XD

ReputationRep:
    My girlfriend recently told me that she loved me, I said 'that's great' and changed the subject. Now, I like her and think she is great. However, I would not got so far as to say 'I love you to her'. There are other things that are more important to me than her, eg. my family and my degree. So is there anyway that I can avoid saying 'I love you' and such?
    Be honest with her..? Maybe you shouldn't be together if you don't love her and feel the same as she does about you

ReputationRep:
    Never admit to loving a woman pre-25 unless you also have at least 5 other women asking you out. Once she sees you as equal or less she knows she has options and will fish for better. **** it man just go MGTOW already,

ReputationRep:
    What was your way? XD
    ”I know” :smug:

Followed by absolutely no attempt to change the subject
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    ”I know” :smug:

Followed by absolutely no attempt to change the subject
    :mmm:

You gotta do it smoothly though, either way you'll look like a **** so better make it good

ReputationRep:
    Legend

Haha, kinda works!

They get over it

Spoiler:
    Show
    I get that you're really pleased because someone did something that made a woman feel bad/inferior, but did you miss the part where OP wants to marry this girl?

So to clarify, he wants to marry her, but he's scared of saying he loves her because she doesn't mean as much as his degree (or something) and he's not ready to have children yet. Your solution is to hit her with some sweet pick-up artist line that she will eventually get over, and this will avoid mushy insincerity (even though telling someone you plan to marry that you love them is not traditionally considered insincere) and enable OP to be a boss/legend. Just like Barney Stinson!

Like I'm not twisting anyone's words or anything, that's a legit summary of the thread.

And when you look at this, as TSR's pre-eminent self-appointed relationships expert, you think to yourself "this is pretty normal, nothing is wrong with this picture."

I mean come on.

ReputationRep:
    :mmm:

You gotta do it smoothly though, either way you'll look like a **** so better make it good
    Oh I always do it smoothly, don't worry about that

Spoiler:
    Show
    Smooth like Nutella on your booty :tong:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, I've been watching too much VitalyzdTv..

Spoiler:
    Show
    Seriously, I am perhaps little too well 'rehearsed'/nonchalant when it comes to dealing with this scenario :rolleyes:

(Original post by SmashConcept)
    avoid mushy insincerity (even though telling someone you plan to marry that you love them is not traditionally considered insincere)
    Planning is one thing, feeling is another. There is little in what I read that is demonstrative of romantic sentiments approaching her professed love; ergo, it would be disingenuous to attempt to mirror them, particularly linguistically, no matter what his (somewhat immature/premature) 'plans' may be

My responses may seem somewhat glib/jovial, and my pitch may typically be aimed at encouraging young men to be exactly that (men), but don't get it twisted - such multi-stranded posts are usually considered, and yes, my advice serious, in essence, and backed by not inconsiderable experience :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    i know the struggle

i used to reply 'me too', whenever she says it on whatsapp

she'd think it's all bantz when really i actually mean it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Planning is one thing, feeling is another. There is little in what I read that is demonstrative of romantic sentiments approaching her professed love; ergo, it would be disingenuous to attempt to mirror them, particularly linguistically, no matter what his (somewhat immature/premature) 'plans' may be

My responses may seem somewhat glib/jovial, and my pitch may typically be aimed at encouraging young men to be exactly that (men), but don't get it twisted - such multi-stranded posts are usually considered, and yes, my advice serious, in essence, and backed by not inconsiderable experience :holmes:
    That last one was quite a sentence. You're gonna have to dumb it down considerably when you explain the difference between planning and feeling as it pertains to marriage. It's never occurred to me to plan to marry someone and not really feel the idea of marrying them, but hey, I'm not the one with experience. Do you think the OP is planning to feel? Do you think you and I should take the OP on a trip to see the Wizard? What's really going on here?

ReputationRep:
    Do what I did..
    'I love you'
    'I like you too'

There's no real way to say it without hurting her feelings though. Maybe just tell her you want to wait until you say it to make it more special?

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.