Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

How to avoid saying I love you. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    It's never occurred to me to plan to marry someone and not really feel the idea of marrying them
    You are possibly not as 'spectrum' as the OP and I

Do you think the OP is planning to feel?
    Hoping to, in time, I'd say, aye

ReputationRep:
    (Whispers) "I love you"
    "Huh, what?"
    "Uh ... uh ... olive juice!"
    "Olive juice?!"
    (Whispers) "Olive juice you too!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    You are possibly not as 'spectrum' as the OP and I
    It's a shame my request for simpler, better worded sentences fell on death ears because I really don't understand this comment. By "spectrum" do you mean the autistic spectrum? It seems weird that you would read a thread in which the OP's behaviour is so strange as to reveal that he is autistic to a casual internet forum reader, and reply with words to the effect of "keep up the good work." If you mean another kind of spectrum then honestly I have no idea what you're on about.

You are obviously intelligent enough to string relatively long words together in sentences that sometimes make sense (your last two posts are not good examples, but really you are :yy:), so I really do think this must seem odd to you as well.

It's disturbing but not surprising to me that you are such an enthusiastic cheerleader for someone who is doing things that don't make sense and don't improve his relationship prospects, ostensibly just because you like the idea of the woman in the story having been "put in her place."

ReputationRep:
    By "spectrum" do you mean the autistic spectrum?
    Yup

It seems weird that you would read a thread in which the OP's behaviour is so strange as to reveal that he is autistic to a casual internet forum reader
    What can I say, I'm weird like that

things that don't make sense
    Makes perfect sense to be yourself and not pander, or debase or trivialise 'love'

don't improve his relationship prospects
    With respect, I'm guessing you haven't been in many relationships. The truth is many women secretly like having something to be all 'woe is me' about, they find the reverse chase/markers for 'social proofing' + 'abundance'/an element of emotional/power imbalance/and a slight mysterious/unpredictable/'bad boy' element potent, stimulating and somewhat addictive traits. Rarely will they admit this, but it's the truth

Granted there's a fine line between being a **** and keeping a girl on her toes but the fact is as soon as a guy becomes a super nice guy/safe bet/mushy/servile type, he's liable to become a friendzoned/cuckold/pussywhipped little ***** if the girl is in demand and not a total wallflower

just because you like the idea of the woman in the story having been "put in her place
    Absolutely not, my response would be similar were the OP female (note my earlier response to SassQueen13)

ReputationRep:
    Yup

What can I say, I'm weird like that

Makes perfect sense to be yourself and not pander, or debase or trivialise 'love'
    Except in this particular case the OP plans to marry her. This may be naive on his part, but then what would be wrong with telling her? In fact if he really does hope to marry her, your advice would cause him to be less "himself" than mine. It literally makes the opposite of sense. Love is just a word, and everyone has different definitions. For most well adjusted people, "the feeling of wanting to marry someone" is a pretty conservative working definition.

With respect, I'm guessing you haven't been in many relationships. The truth is many women secretly like having something to be all 'woe is me' about, they find the reverse chase/markers for 'social proofing' + 'abundance'/an element of emotional/power imbalance/and a slight mysterious/unpredictable/'bad boy' element potent, stimulating and somewhat addictive traits. Rarely will they admit this, but it's the truth

Granted there's a fine line between being a **** and keeping a girl on her toes but the fact is as soon as a guy becomes a super nice guy/safe bet/mushy/servile type, he's liable to become a friendzoned/cuckold/pussywhipped little ***** if the girl is in demand and not a total wallflower
    I'm actually a grown up, so if you don't have any insight beyond what anyone can read on some ratchet-ass pick up artist or men's rights **** show of a blog then we shouldn't be wasting each other's time. You might as well have called me a beta male smh.

Absolutely not, my response would be similar were the OP female (note my earlier response to SassQueen13)
    I noted it, you offered to rub Nutella on her ass :dontknow: I kind of glossed over it because I didn't see the relevance that had to our discussion.

ReputationRep:
    Say I <3 you.

ReputationRep:
    By "spectrum" do you mean the autistic spectrum?
    :rofl:

You can't say anything except I love you. It's a trick. You say anything else, heck if you say it reluctantly youre ****ing screwed

ReputationRep:
    what would be wrong with telling her?
    Ok, sure: "I don't yet love you but one day I plan to marry you" :ahee:

She'll be giddy with joyous delight :daydreaming:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..or not :erm:

In fact if he really does hope to marry her, your advice would cause him to be less "himself" than mine
    You've conflated an intention to marry with the feeling of being in love :facepalm2:

"the feeling of wanting to marry someone" is a pretty conservative working definition
    Dear me, are you serious!?:mute:

You might as well have called me a beta male
    No need :mmm:

I noted it, you offered to rub Nutella on her ass :dontknow:
    Some chicks are into that, apparently, although I suspect it's mostly Miami beach babes :beard:

I kind of glossed over it because I didn't see the relevance that had to our discussion
    I forgive you

ReputationRep:
    Ok, sure: "I don't yet love you but one day I plan to marry you" :ahee:

She'll be giddy with joyous delight :daydreaming:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..or not :erm:
    I don't think you've quite understood my advice.

You've conflated an intention to marry with the feeling of being in love :facepalm2:

Dear me, are you serious!?:mute:
    Uh.. yep. As it happens, communicating his intention to one day marry her would probably be interpreted that way, and could neatly solve this disagreement.

No need :mmm:
    I think overall the edit made your post more intelligent. Next time try deleting more words! Maybe even all of them :yy:

Some chicks are into that, apparently, although I suspect it's mostly Miami beach babes :beard:
    Well, did she ever get back to you?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you've quite understood my advice.
    Perhaps you'd like to share with the class precisely what it is that you would advise him to (truthfully[?]) say then?

Uh.. yep. As it happens, communicating his intention to one day marry her would probably be interpreted that way
    See pretty much any period drama for reference re: guys who announce their intention to marry, with no particular hint of emotionality/promise nor prospect of future feels :haughty:

(Original post by SassQueen13)
    You gotta do it smoothly though, either way you'll look like a **** so better make it good
    Oh I always do it smoothly, don't worry about that

Spoiler:
    Show
    Smooth like Nutella on your booty :tong:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Yes, I've been watching too much VitalyzdTv..
    Well, did she ever get back to you?
    Nope. Apparently she has a hazlebutt allergy :gah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AttitudeEvery)
    My girlfriend recently told me that she loved me, I said 'that's great' and changed the subject. Now, I like her and think she is great. However, I would not got so far as to say 'I love you to her'. There are other things that are more important to me than her, eg. my family and my degree. So is there anyway that I can avoid saying 'I love you' and such?
    Whenever she says "I love you" you reply by leaning in and kissing her.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you'd like to share with the class precisely what it is that you would advise him to say then?
    Given I asked him what his specific concerns were about saying "I love you", and the ones he told me were all stupid (incidentally he doesn't seem to share your worry about being friendzoned, which makes sense since she already said it to him and they're already in a relationship), I would have advised him to say "I love you too." It's simple, easy to rationalize, and would have avoided this stupid thread. That's three pros, and no compelling cons.

See pretty much any period drama for reference re: guys who announce their intention to marry, with no particular hint of emotionality/promise of future feels
    Sorry, I pretty much just watch sports. Think of it as my uphill struggle to become ALPHA like you.

That was pretty witty, well done :yy:
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps you'd like to share with the class precisely what it is that you would advise him to (truthfully[?]) say then?

See pretty much any period drama for reference re: guys who announce their intention to marry, with no particular hint of emotionality/promise nor prospect of future feels :haughty:

I haz no words :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    I haz no words :mmm:
    :chaplin:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Allow me to put some in your mouth :sexface:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..words, that is! :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AttitudeEvery)
    My girlfriend recently told me that she loved me, I said 'that's great' and changed the subject. Now, I like her and think she is great. However, I would not got so far as to say 'I love you to her'. There are other things that are more important to me than her, eg. my family and my degree. So is there anyway that I can avoid saying 'I love you' and such?
    Not saying "I love you..."
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    :chaplin:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Allow me to put some in your mouth :sexface:

Spoiler:
    Show
    ..words, that is! :teehee:
    That is rather naughty of you, I wonder what your mother would think about such vulgarity coming from your mouth :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    That is rather naughty of you
    You must be new here :sexface:

I wonder what your mother would think about such vulgarity coming from your mouth :teehee:
    I'm ashamed to say there isn't much that would shock my mother when it comes to her son's shenanigans

Plus I'm her darling boy so I can do no wrong now can I?

I was being literal btw, honest! :innocent:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The words you were searching for: "Please, Sir, it's only a mild intolerance?"

ReputationRep:
    She loves you, you don't love her... you can see that there's quite a big problem here. Maybe you shouldn't be together. Better to talk to her about this now rather than lead her on. It hurts when the person you love doesn't say "I love you" back. Instead of trying to figure out how to avoid saying it, maybe you should assess the relationship to see if there's any point in carrying on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    You must be new here :sexface:

I'm ashamed to say there isn't much that would shock my mother when it comes to her son's shenanigans

Plus I'm her darling boy so I can do no wrong now can I?

I was being literal btw, honest! :innocent:

Spoiler:
    Show
    The words you were searching for: "Please, Sir, it's only a mild intolerance?"
    I assume you have quite the reputation then Foo, I expect to be hearing more about your shenanigans in due course ^__^

Hmmmm almost like butter wouldn't melt in your mouth eh?

But TSR knows the truth

I'm sure you were

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.