Marwasab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi everyone!

I am currently in my final year studying biomedical science, and I am a little lost on what the future holds.

I feel like nowadays you need to gain experience before even applying for any jobs, but gaining the experience seems to be nearly impossible?

Biomedical science is such a broad degree that I feel you need to specify, which is a dilemma in its self, doing a masters degree in something that might still not get you a job worries me.

Does anyone have any advice? what a good masters degree would be best to do? or if even doing a masters degree is worth it?

How does someone go about gaining experience for a job which requires experience? I mean I've tried contacting hospitals around my area which have biomedical labs and asked if I could volunteer to gain experience but I haven't had much luck.

Any advice will be appreciated!
pryk009
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be a fully licensed biomedical scientist you need a practical training after the degree.

Ask your Univerisity if you can do your own research in the lab with spare materials and publish an article or two. Not many unis let you do it.

This makes you stand out anywhere.

You can skip biomedical science training and do a master (1 year), then a PhD (3 years) in any top universities or russell group uni. Don't do straight a PhD of 4 years that include a master.

This means you are gonna focus more on research.

The master gives you time to reflect further if you wish to study 3 years more or find a job in a company (top universities and the russell group unis give really good connections and career opportunity).

If you decide to do a job, then search!
Try, fail and retry till you get one.

If wanna do PhD. You can later find a job or further study with a post-doctorate.

With a biomedical science degree you can do medicine, dentistry or work as a lab/research assistant and slowly level up position, but salary sucks.
Marwasab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Thank you for replying! I have been thinking of doing a masters degree, but I'm just so confused on what to choose. Do you have any subjects for masters that you would recommend or think has a good stable future? I was thinking of doing haematology or cancer biology.

Really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
pryk009
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Go for new recent fields! Read new articles.

I think cancer, virology and microbiology, stem cells, epigenetic, drug discovery, tissue engineering are the target for bio-business.

(Original post by Marwasab)
Thank you for replying! I have been thinking of doing a masters degree, but I'm just so confused on what to choose. Do you have any subjects for masters that you would recommend or think has a good stable future? I was thinking of doing haematology or cancer biology.

Really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (117)
28.26%
No - I have already returned home (56)
13.53%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (81)
19.57%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (40)
9.66%
No - I live at home during term anyway (120)
28.99%

Watched Threads