Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone!

I am currently in my final year studying biomedical science, and I am a little lost on what the future holds.

I feel like nowadays you need to gain experience before even applying for any jobs, but gaining the experience seems to be nearly impossible?

Biomedical science is such a broad degree that I feel you need to specify, which is a dilemma in its self, doing a masters degree in something that might still not get you a job worries me.

Does anyone have any advice? what a good masters degree would be best to do? or if even doing a masters degree is worth it?

How does someone go about gaining experience for a job which requires experience? I mean I've tried contacting hospitals around my area which have biomedical labs and asked if I could volunteer to gain experience but I haven't had much luck.

Any advice will be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    To be a fully licensed biomedical scientist you need a practical training after the degree.

Ask your Univerisity if you can do your own research in the lab with spare materials and publish an article or two. Not many unis let you do it.

This makes you stand out anywhere.

You can skip biomedical science training and do a master (1 year), then a PhD (3 years) in any top universities or russell group uni. Don't do straight a PhD of 4 years that include a master.

This means you are gonna focus more on research.

The master gives you time to reflect further if you wish to study 3 years more or find a job in a company (top universities and the russell group unis give really good connections and career opportunity).

If you decide to do a job, then search!
    Try, fail and retry till you get one.

If wanna do PhD. You can later find a job or further study with a post-doctorate.

With a biomedical science degree you can do medicine, dentistry or work as a lab/research assistant and slowly level up position, but salary sucks.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for replying! I have been thinking of doing a masters degree, but I'm just so confused on what to choose. Do you have any subjects for masters that you would recommend or think has a good stable future? I was thinking of doing haematology or cancer biology.

Really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go for new recent fields! Read new articles.

I think cancer, virology and microbiology, stem cells, epigenetic, drug discovery, tissue engineering are the target for bio-business.

(Original post by Marwasab)
    Thank you for replying! I have been thinking of doing a masters degree, but I'm just so confused on what to choose. Do you have any subjects for masters that you would recommend or think has a good stable future? I was thinking of doing haematology or cancer biology.

Really appreciate your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.