Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    Regarding the integral everyone seems to have struggled with: can you say what the exponent was (either of the integral or the curve)? (It's not legible on the attachment you posted).
    Curve is y=1/(x^2-1)^3/2. Rather nice integral after doing step for 6 months. Shame i didnt have time to finish that part couldve got 95/100. Oh well I shall live haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Curve is y=1/(x^2-1)^3/2. Rather nice integral after doing step for 6 months. Shame i didnt have time to finish that part couldve got 95/100. Oh well I shall live haha.
    So actual integral was "just" \displaystyle \int \dfrac{1}{(x^2-1)^3} \,dx?

That should have been nice for everyone who did STEP III Q1 this year...

ReputationRep:
    last year the official MS was posted rather quickly. A few days i thinkz could the same happen this year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Yep. Lost 8 on that since didnt have time. Sorry i repeat this but it is annoying lol. Shud get 88 ish so still not too bad.
    There are a few ways to do it but would be interesting which way they wanted.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Lost 8 on that since didnt have time. Sorry i repeat this but it is annoying lol. Shud get 88 ish so still not too bad.
    Probably more than I'd have got. I hate AEA papers.

ReputationRep:

But the limits were different and the form they wanted was also different iirc. So Q1 strategy was kind of long here.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How come? How would you compare them in raw difficulty compared to a step I paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do people think the boundary for a distinction will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimberley123)
    What do people think the boundary for a distinction will be?
    70? TeeEm will probably have he best astimate as I haven no clue how hard the paper was. Challenging questions were the trig and last question. I dont think vectors was hard(easliy could have been in a C4 paper) i just made a mistake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How come?
    Basically because (due to lack of practice) I'm not very good at raw manipulation these days, and in my experience the AEA is much heavier on this than STEP. And there's stuff I don't really remember how to do - I can often wing it, but with STEP there's question choice so I can avoid the worst of it.

How would you compare them in raw difficulty compared to a step I paper.
    I've always felt the difficulty between them is comparable, to the point where I think which you prefer pretty much depends on the individual.

ReputationRep:
    But the limits were different and the form they wanted was also different iirc. So Q1 strategy was kind of long here.
    Well, it's not an identical question (the base case for Q1 being 1/(1+x^2) means you had an arctan term, here you'll get logs), but looking at the given result I'm reasonably sure it would come out to that fairly painlessly.

ReputationRep:
    Basically because (due to lack of practice) I'm not very good at raw manipulation these days, and in my experience the AEA is much heavier on this than STEP. And there's stuff I don't really remember how to do - I can often wing it, but with STEP there's question choice so I can avoid the worst of it.

I've always felt the difficulty between them is comparable, to the point where I think which you prefer pretty much depends on the individual.
    Yh there was a 3 marker which was a page of raw algebra.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think AEA is one of those things which is a lot easier if you're doing it with your A-Levels (like I did) because a lot of the tricks or manipulation nuances are already familiar to you. That said, I think the AEA has been getting harder. I haven't tried the 2015 questions but they look slightly easier than normal at first glance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    I think AEA is one of those things which is a lot easier if you're doing it with your A-Levels (like I did) because a lot of the tricks or manipulation nuances are already familiar to you. That said, I think the AEA has been getting harder. I haven't tried the 2015 questions but they look slightly easier than normal at first glance.
    Less thinking, more algebra.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Everyone reckon they got the 7 marks for clarity communication and presentation? I did a picture of a harry potter at the end of my paper is was well good.

ReputationRep:
    Less thinking, more algebra.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But algebra you'll forget how to do 10 years out of school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mendeleev)
    Everyone reckon they got the 7 marks for clarity communication and presentation? I did a picture of a harry potter at the end of my paper is was well good.
    I think I got like 4/5? I know i didnt get the T mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jai Sandhu)
    Isnt the T half marks on the paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jai Sandhu)
    What's the T mark?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shamika)
    But algebra you'll forget how to do 10 years out of school
    Hehe but not unfamiliar for Dfranklin . It was deceptively tricky I would say. The algebra was not nice. I used more paper then i did in step II where I had 6 solutions. And i did not finish, atleast everything I did was right hehe. Except for 1 part of a question .

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.