The Student Room Group

AEA Prep Thread - 25th June 2015 (Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
Original post by 11234
just got my results and I am indebted to you for your hard work on your website, it's really helped me get these grades

I am pleased to hear that my work helped people.
All the best!
Reply 561
Original post by physicsmaths
Whoo I meed AEA for my insurance. Some of the AEA questions can be tough. We will all get through it though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you meeet your Cambridge offer
Original post by 11234
Did you meeet your Cambridge offer

Na. Got 1,1,3 in step I,II,III respectively. Got Distinction in AEA and

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 563
Na. Got 1,1,3 in step I,II,III respectively. Got Distinction in AEA and

Posted from TSR Mobile

how did you prepare for step, they're really good scores
Reply 564
Original post by 11234

How do you approach inequalities, I feel like its just experimenting to find the right polynomial
Reply 565
Original post by 11234
How do you approach inequalities, I feel like its just experimenting to find the right polynomial

linear inequalities?

very easy ....
Original post by 11234

Just did papers. I thought my scores were terrible tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 567
Original post by TeeEm
linear inequalities?

very easy ....

Na like am gm and Cauchy schwarz
Reply 568
Just did papers. I thought my scores were terrible tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm going up to L6, would you recommend I revise for maths challenges and BMO or step now....

many thanks
Original post by 11234
I'm going up to L6, would you recommend I revise for maths challenges and BMO or step now....

many thanks

What content have you covered, module wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 570
What content have you covered, module wise?

Posted from TSR Mobile

c1-c4 m1 s1 d1 fp1 and on fp2
Original post by 11234
c1-c4 m1 s1 d1 fp1 and on fp2

I would do FP3 and applied modules. Either all mechanics or all stats.
Then start step II/III Work on STEP I for now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11234

many thanks

BMO, its fun
Reply 573
Original post by Renzhi10122
BMO, its fun

but difficult... How did you revise
Original post by 11234
but difficult... How did you revise

By doing questions. It gets easier after a while or so.
I think I might do AEA next year!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 576
Don't think there is a thread for 2016...
I'm not being taught at school can anyone recommend the best books to get etc for AEA and Step I.

I already had Warwick solutions but I'd like a hard copy of a book and some other solutions banks if possible, thanks!
This thread is old. Most do STEP but do you guys have any solid tips for AEA?
I'd recommend, for both AEA and STEP, go over past paper questions. The style of the papers is much different to any other maths papers you will have probably done and the only way to get good is practice. Try not to look at answers unless you really have to, and if possible try doing some papers with other students who will give a different perspective on questions and, without even realising, you will start to adapt your style to the paper. In the exam just try not to panic. This paper is hard and you are not meant to be able to do all the questions like you probably can on A Level. If you have spent a long time on a question, skip it and come back or you will waste time you could have spent on other questions and probably get more stressed.

If it's any help, when I first started STEP I couldn't do any full questions on papers without answers. With a lot of practice and through talking through questions with someone else doing STEP, I managed to come out with a level 1 and a distinction in AEA. This is just to stress, you are not meant to be good to start with.

If you run out of past papers for AEA, try doing last questions on c1-c4 as these will be similar in some respects to the AEA.

I wasn't taught at school either but found, if I didn't understand a solution after trying for a while, my maths teachers would help if I asked. You could also try to see if there are any STEP sessions in your area, I think Bath university do them but don't know about any others. Just try the past papers and eventually you'll get there even without help!

Hope this helps!
(edited 7 years ago)
I've made a new thread for those of you who are sitting the exam this year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending