Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I was thinking myself the very same question ...
    I will miss AEA when it is gone
    AEA is in Edexcel's provisional timetable for 2016.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ludmila)
    AEA is in Edexcel's provisional timetable for 2016.
    well another year then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    x
    What I dont really understand is why people think AEA is significantly easier than STEP. I honestly think if you gave me any STEP 1 paper I am 100% sure I would get a high 2 and really I should get a 1 (would be disappointing if I didnt), whilst if you gave me an AEA paper I would be getting a low merit each time, no way is a 2 equivalent to a Distinction in AEA, a 2 is much easier. I guess they are both different styles of mathematics but still.

ReputationRep:
    Taking this for fun so no pressure! Anyone know how exactly style, clarity and presentation marks are awarded?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jai Sandhu)
    What I dont really understand is why people think AEA is significantly easier than STEP. I honestly think if you gave me any STEP 1 paper I am 100% sure I would get a high 2 and really I should get a 1 (would be disappointing if I didnt), whilst if you gave me an AEA paper I would be getting a low merit each time, no way is a 2 equivalent to a Distinction in AEA, a 2 is much easier. I guess they are both different styles of mathematics but still.
    Everybody has their own opinion about it...
    The best way to assess it is to put 2 able students without any preparation on both papers.
    My feeling is that
    ... to achieve lower grades AEA is easier.
    ... to achieve high grades AEA is harder.
    I also feel that STEP is more predictable in the type of questions, so you can prepare/train better.
    Finally AEA has no choice.

It is just that TSR is full of Cambridge hangers on and Cambridge wannabes that worship anything which remotely associated with Cambridge.

I think personally AEA is a good exam, I think is as hard if not harder and possibly better assessor of ability than STEP I, and I will be truly sad to see AEA go.

PS. Isn't strange that people do STEP II and STEP III reasonably well and could not get 100% on the EDEXCEL FP3 the other day...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Everybody has their own opinion about it...
    The best way to assess it is to put 2 able students without any preparation on both papers.
    My feeling is that
    ... to achieve lower grades AEA is easier.
    ... to achieve high grades AEA is harder.
    I also feel that STEP is more predictable in the type of questions, so you can prepare/train better.
    Finally AEA has no choice.

It is just that TSR is full of Cambridge hangers on and Cambridge wannabes that worship anything which remotely associated with Cambridge.

I think personally AEA is a good exam, I think is as hard if not harder and possibly better assessor of ability than STEP I, and I will be truly sad to see AEA go.

PS. Isn't strange that people do STEP II and STEP III reasonably well and could not get 100% on the EDEXCEL FP3 the other day...
    U talkin bout me madas matey.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully, I'll do enough for a merit. Distinction is definitely out of reach!

ReputationRep:
    does anyone else feel unprepared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    U talkin bout me madas matey.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Firstly have some respect, as to how you address me ....
    Secondly your usename has not been mentioned in any shape or form.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    Firstly have some respect, as to how you address me ....
    Secondly your usename has not been mentioned in any shape or form.
    Chill. I was joking lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think, remember this I have said think, that AEA is hard and some questions are harder the STEP but it is more guided then STEP making it a tad easier imo.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chill. I was joking lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you were so there is no hard feelings...
    ...and no I was not referring to you.

ReputationRep:
    I think that AEA is miles easier than STEP... Most of the questions are pretty simple once you give them a bit of thought and there's no ambiguity as to how many marks you're getting for each answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    I thought you were so there is no hard feelings...
    ...and no I was not referring to you.
    Thought so hehe. Also I thought I did ok in FP3 given i learnt the two big chapters the day before.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For (B) on this would I be penalised for taking the cross product (which is FP3 knowledge) rather than doing the C4 method?
    Name:  Q5 june 2006.png
Views: 87
Size:  8.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhysRippin)
    For (B) on this would I be penalised for taking the cross product (which is FP3 knowledge) rather than doing the C4 method?
    No, they mention being OK with people using integrating factors in one of the reports.

ReputationRep:
    Thought so hehe. Also I thought I did ok in FP3 given i learnt the two big chapters the day before.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My point was from personal recent experience with 2 different students that they were able to get 1 in both STEP II and STEP III yet both unable to get full or almost full marks in standard units.

ReputationRep:
    the questions at first look really complicated but the answer is actually simple, that's the problem except for series, don't really get how to do those

i think i'll end up finishing an hour early and spend the next hour figuring out how to do stuff i don't know. the more calm you remain, the easier things become so im just gonna keep reminding myself i don't need this fro my insurance lol:P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RhysRippin)

definitely not

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    definitely not
    (Original post by fatart123)
    No, they mention being OK with people using integrating factors in one of the reports.
    I didn't think I would be, but thanks for the reassurance!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.