thewytches
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
This is for my GCSE which is in just over a week, I figured most of you reading this have done your GCSE's. I'm doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls. In my mock I received an A, but I'd like to know how does an essay have to be written to be placed in the A* category. Also, if you have any unique points on any characters/quotes/themes, they would be greatly appreciated. Also for the poem part, how would you get an A* instead of an A?
heyhoshano
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I studied Of Mice and Men in GCSE but it's been a whilesince I did GCSE English literature so I don't think I can necessarily help youwith points other than try searching the web. There's a lot of educationalwebsites that can help you such as Spark Notes if you need some more food forthought.

I got an A in lit at GCSE and I imagine that to get an A* you need a constanthigh
standardof grammar and critical understanding of the texts you have studying. Maybe link aspects to context if that’s a thing you are able to use? At A level welook at the contexts of texts and how this impacts the text.
SannahIqbal
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I got a C in my mock but came out with an A* in the actual exam so I'm guessing you'll do fine.
To revise I just made sure I understood my story and the relationships between the characters as well as having a clear grasp of my poems/short stories. In the exam, I remember writing as much as I could and following the P.E.E structure while analysing really helped. I think in paper 2 I was asked a question on an unseen piece of text which I found easy because I was able to give my own interpretation to that, remember there is no right or wrong in literature so as well as answering the question, feel free to express what you think. I also made sure that I remembered the literary terms such as ‘metaphor’ ‘hyperbole’, etc. so that I could use them in my essay. Lastly, make sure you understand the question so that you can answer exactly what is being asked – in my language exam I didn’t read the question properly which lowered my mark and I got lower than my predicted grade but that was just due to my own carelessness. Don’t panic, an A in your mock means you have good understanding and is a really good head start. Good luck!

to-be-continued
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
As you're getting an A in your mock exam, I should imagine you have a clear understanding of textual analysis and semantics - just make sure that your contextual knowledge is up to scratch to get those extra marks! Good Luck! (I got an A in GCSE, but I'm now doing A-Level and am on an access scheme for literature with University of Bristol.)
Changing Skies
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by thewytches)
This is for my GCSE which is in just over a week, I figured most of you reading this have done your GCSE's. I'm doing Of Mice and Men and An Inspector Calls. In my mock I received an A, but I'd like to know how does an essay have to be written to be placed in the A* category. Also, if you have any unique points on any characters/quotes/themes, they would be greatly appreciated. Also for the poem part, how would you get an A* instead of an A?
Moving to English for you

Posted from TSR Mobile
faggstagram
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
honestly, i wouldn't be too worried about the semantics of getting an a* ?? because i consistently got solid A's throughout year 11, and i came out with full UMS in 3/4 of my eng lit exams and an a* overall. i think honestly that the difference is just the picky things - the sophisticated language, the structure of your work. it just needs to look and sound like that higher level essay, the content can be quite basic in actual fact.
testing1234568
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by heyhoshano)
I imagine that to get an A* you need a constanthigh standardof grammar
Not the case in my experience - I got A*s in English Lit at both GCSE and A Level with utterly atrocious grammar and spelling.
heyhoshano
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by studentro)
Not the case in my experience - I got A*s in English Lit at both GCSE and A Level with utterly atrocious grammar and spelling.
That's very surprising. My assessment objectives at a level for coursework and exam include one specifically emphasising the importance of fluidity and grammar. I'd still stress its importance because it's an key part of the subject.
surreptitious
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I did OMAM in Year 10 for GCSE so I'm no use for IC. I got a B in my mock and A in the exam with a higher A grade overall (school refused to sent for a remark, cos 'they forgot') so here's what I can advise you.

PEEL. Is good but to stretch yourself, aim for PEARL. Point, Evidence, Author's Intention, Reader's Interpretation (effect on reader), language devices and link back to the question.

We did the 3 part exam with part a on character, b on language and c on context of the whole novel for Edexcel. So use PEARL, remember context so read over the book and GetRevising is very helpful for profiles and key quotes. Try to get 2/3 or more quotes for each theme loneliness, friendship, love, women etc. And stretch your terminology used so your essay sounds more academic. E.g. George is not smart he's 'judicious', he's 'pragmatic', Crooks uses a 'vitriolic, corrosive tone'. So do some thesaurus research.

But if you're achieving an A already you just need to keep practicing so all is in tact for the summer term.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads