Turn on thread page Beta

Oxbridge interview question (combinatorics/probability) watch

ReputationRep:
    Here's a question from the oxbridge-admissions report:

If we have 25 people, what is the likelyhood that at least one of them is born in each month of the year?

My answer: (this is not a complete answer, just gives some idea of what I did and my final probability)
    Spoiler:
    Show

First I considered the binomial distribution and a few other things, but eventually I sort of gave up. I defined a function f(m, p) to be the probability of success with m out of 12 months still without any people in them and p people who do not have months assigned to them (i.e. whose months are undetermined).
    I then created a recursive formulation of f...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    with each of these cases handled seperately:
    m = 0 (also p < m as an optimisation)
    p = m
    p > m

I created a Scheme program to calculate the value of f(12, 25). It took a minute to run in the interpreter, and gave me an exact answer.

My answer was 0.1819 (to 4 dp) but I could never have done it without a computer. Any insights?

ReputationRep:
    P(one in jan) = 1 - (11/12)^25
    P(another in feb) = 1 - (11/12)^24
    P(one in dec too) = 1 - (11/12)^14

P = [1-(11/12)^25][1 - (11/12)^24]...[1 - (11/12)^14]

Would that work? A little simpler, still don't think it's easily solvable without a calculator.

ReputationRep:
    I make it 9.

ReputationRep:
    O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speleo)
    P(one in jan) = 1 - (11/12)^25
    P(another in feb) = 1 - (11/12)^24
    P(one in dec too) = 1 - (11/12)^14

P = [1-(11/12)^25][1 - (11/12)^24]...[1 - (11/12)^14]

Would that work? A little simpler, still don't think it's easily solvable without a calculator.
    That's a much smaller probability than my one. It looks like you don't consider the 2nd person going into the same month as the 1st, but the next 23 people sorting it out.

Master621: that isn't a probability

ReputationRep:
    I will take your word for it, I am not very good at probability

On second thoughts it does look a little off.

ReputationRep:
    Excel (Monte Carlo method) confirms my result. The experimental result already matches my calculated one to the fourth decimal place and as I add more trials the error is drifting down. However I still feel as though I've missed something.

ReputationRep:
    I think I get (24C11)/(36C11) which seems less than your answer.

I got this thinking of allowed possibilities

JJJFFMAAAM...D

as choosing where to put 11 jumps into 24 gaps

and all possibilities - such as

JJJJMAAAAAAM....N

as

****||*|******|*...*|

where there are 11 jumps (|) in amongst 25 months and they can be repeated.

My method seems to give the right answer for small cases.

ReputationRep:
    If you wanted to work it out by hand, you could do 1- P(one month missing) - (two months missing) -... - (11 months missing ie all born in the same month)
    = 1 - 12C1*(11/12)^25 - 12C2*(10/12)^25 - ... - 12C11*(1/12)^25. I'm pretty sure this is the right answer though it might take a while to work out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dijon199)
    If you wanted to work it out by hand, you could do 1- P(one month missing) - (two months missing) -... - (11 months missing ie all born in the same month)
    = 1 - 12C1*(11/12)^25 - 12C2*(10/12)^25 - ... - 12C11*(1/12)^25. I'm pretty sure this is the right answer though it might take a while to work out!
    Think about the bold bit. The 12C1 = 12 is for the twelve months. So
    (11/12)^25 needs to be the probability that the 25 are born in Jan-Nov say - which it is - but with no guarantee that all 11 months are included.

So not convinced you can go down this route.

ReputationRep:
    dijon199: The problem is that your "one month missing" includes many from "two months missing" and "three months missing" etc...

I found out the answer (a math master at my school gave me an answer which works out exactly to my previous one, but with far less calculation).

Exact and complete formula below.
    Spoiler:
    Show

\Sigma_{n=0}^{12} (-1)^n \cdot C^{12}_n \cdot (\frac{n}{12})^{25}
    Note: C^n_r is notation for "n choose r" or "nCr"

I'm going to investigate this one. Maybe I should read some online stuff on combinatorics, as it seems to be a favourite of Oxbridge admissions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    Think about the bold bit. The 12C1 = 12 is for the twelve months. So
    (11/12)^25 needs to be the probability that the 25 are born in Jan-Nov say - which it is - but with no guarantee that all 11 months are included.

So not convinced you can go down this route.
    yes, you're right (oops!). I'll have a think about how to get that answer you gave - it looks like the type of answer where you're starting off with a large number, then subtracting, then adding, etc...until you get the answer ie you're getting closer and closer to the answer with each term. But I could be completely wrong! So the 12th term would be the largest and 1-term the smallest as the 0-term is zero.

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.