Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

Im a little bit stuck on a certain question I was given for homework yet if I figure it out, many of my problems will become resolved lol.

I think I have the answer but I want to make sure I've done it correctly.
    The question instructs that we use the "decision tree method" for the following question:

" A road safety study found that in 77% of all accidents the driver was wearing a seatbelt. Accident reports indicated that 92% of those drivers escaped serious injury (defined as hospitalisation or death), but only 63% of the non-belted drivers were so fortunate. What is the probability that a driver who was seriously injured was not wearing a seatbelt?"

Using a tree diagram ( hopefully this is the same as the decision tree method), I came up with the decimal 0.0851 or 8.51% as the answer to the question. But I have doubts this is correct.
    The way I did it was multiplying 0.23 with 0.37.

Am I missing a step? Have I done this correctly?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fyer1234)
    Hi guys

Im a little bit stuck on a certain question I was given for homework yet if I figure it out, many of my problems will become resolved lol.

The question instructs that we use the "decision tree method" for the following question:

" A road safety study found that in 77% of all accidents the driver was wearing a seatbelt. Accident reports indicated that 92% of those drivers escaped serious injury (defined as hospitalisation or death), but only 63% of the non-belted drivers were so fortunate. What is the probability that a driver who was seriously injured was not wearing a seatbelt?"

Using a tree diagram ( hopefully this is the same as the decision tree method), I came up with the decimal 0.0851 or 8.51% as the answer to the question. But I have doubts this is correct.

You haven't done it correctly.

You need to start by drawing a decision tree. You can't just cross your fingers and multiply numbers together. First set of branches can be wearing a seatbelt and not wearing a seatbelt. Second set of branches can be seriously injured and not seriously injured.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys

No, not correct. You are being asked for a conditional probability, i.e. the probability that he was wearintg a seat belt, given that he was seriuosly injured. This is calculated
    as Prob(seriously injured and wearing a seat belt) divided by Prob(He was seriously injured)
    (It is a simple case of Bayes Theorem
     \text{P}(A|B)=\frac{\text{P}(B|A  )\text{P}(A)}{\text{P}(B|A)\text  {P}(A)+\text{P}B|A')\text{P}(A')  }
    The various probabilities arec easi;ly obtained from your tree diagram.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianeverit)
    No, not correct. You are being asked for a conditional probability, i.e. the probability that he was wearintg a seat belt, given that he was seriuosly injured. This is calculated
    as Prob(seriously injured and wearing a seat belt) divided by Prob(He was seriously injured)
     \text{P}(A|B)=\frac{\text{P}(B|A  )\text{P}(A)}{\text{P}(B|A)\text  {P}(A)+\text{P}B|A')\text{P}(A')  }
    Did you fail to notice that the question asked for a decision tree? You have also misread the question.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Mr M

That is exactly how I did it though.

0.77 wearing a seatbelt followed by 0.92 escape serious injury & 0.08 with serious injury
    Drivers
    0.23 not wearing a seatbelt followed 0.63 escaping serious injury & 0.37 with serious injury.

Is that not correct? I think the part I am missing is adding the two serious injury decimals and diving by something, that part I'm not sure.

Please any advice would be great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brianeverit)
    The various probabilities arec easi;ly obtained from your tree diagram.

Mmm ok

So, as far as I can see it should be 0.08 divided by 0.45? That doesn't seem right...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Mr M

That is exactly how I did it though.

0.77 wearing a seatbelt followed by 0.92 escape serious injury & 0.08 with serious injury
    Drivers
    0.23 not wearing a seatbelt followed 0.63 escaping serious injury & 0.37 with serious injury.

Is that not correct? I think the part I am missing is adding the two serious injury decimals and diving by something, that part I'm not sure.

Please any advice would be great
    All correct so far.

Now calculate these probabilities:

a) P(wearing a seatbelt and injured)

b) P(not wearing a seatbelt and injured)

c) P(injured) [this is the sum of the first two probabilities]

Your final step is to divide P(not wearing a seatbelt and injured) by P(injured).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    All correct so far.

Now calculate these probabilities:

a) P(wearing a seatbelt and injured)

b) P(not wearing a seatbelt and injured)

c) P(injured) [this is the sum of the first two probabilities]

Your final step is to divide P(not wearing a seatbelt and injured) by P(injured).
    Thanks

ok this is what I've come up with:

a) 0.0616
    b) 0.0851
    c) 0.1467

0.1467 = 0.58 or 58%

Hopefully I've got it.....
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ok this is what I've come up with:

a) 0.0616
    b) 0.0851
    c) 0.1467

0.1467 = 0.58 or 58%

Hopefully I've got it.....
    Yep!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    Yep!
    wow thankyou.

Just one more question regarding how to display probability like this. Is there a certain rule on how to show this probability? Is it best to show it as a decimal, fraction or percentage?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    wow thankyou.

Just one more question regarding how to display probability like this. Is there a certain rule on how to show this probability? Is it best to show it as a decimal, fraction or percentage?
    I wouldn't use percentages. Fractions or decimals are fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    I use fractions if the answer is rational. My second preference is decimals.
    Ah ok thanks for your help today, has really relieved a lot of anxiousness towards these type of questions

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.