The Student Room Group

Insight to medicine at GCSE

hello, please help someone! I'm currently studying my gcse's and have been given a place at college to study biology chemistry and maths. My ideal career is medicine and I'm already panicking. What can I be doing in advance now to help me prepare for medical school?
Start volunteering as soon as possible. This is massively important.
Original post by lauryntaylor
hello, please help someone! I'm currently studying my gcse's and have been given a place at college to study biology chemistry and maths. My ideal career is medicine and I'm already panicking. What can I be doing in advance now to help me prepare for medical school?

Well I'm sure you already know you should try to get really good grades for a good chance at med and you've got the right a levels. Aside from that as much work experience as possible. Contact hospitals, GP practices etc Or if you have any contacts, friends/family working in a medical setting then ask them if you could shadow them/if they can get work experience sorted you.
Original post by lauryntaylor

Aim to get at least 7 A, this will give you the best possible choice. As soon as you turn 16 gets some hospital volunteering (they tend not to give it to under-16s due to child protection issues) and become a St John ambulance cadet so you can get practical experience of treating people.

Oh and pick up an interesting hobby like sheep racing (idk), medical schools are always looking for something new.

Also purchase the CGP bridge the gap guide for chemistry to get a head start.

good luck

Quick Reply

Latest