Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Is cutting too early counterproductive ? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

Been lifting for around 14 months, went from 72kg to 81kg (i'm 5'11). My BMI went from around 22 to 25 as of current. I weighed myself this morning using a some high end electronic analyser scales ( I realize they're probably not as accurate as calipers or whatever.) and im around 22% bodyfat.

I'm big as in I get compliments, look good in a medium sized shirt and bust out of slim fit ones but im smaller then the average bro you see in the gym.

Anyway i've been thinking about cutting as I'm really fascinated to see how my body would change under lower bodyfat. As i#m not HUGE though, i'm worried if by loosing bodyfat i'll sacrifice siginifcant muscle and not be able to gain as much.

ReputationRep:
    Keep doing all the lifting and you'll still weigh the same, if not heavier...
    (But you'd turn all the fat into muscle though)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawn_o1)
    Keep doing all the lifting and you'll still weigh the same, if not heavier...
    (But you'd turn all the fat into muscle though)
    Um it's not really about the weight, I have something of a high bodyfat percentage but it's because I've been bulking for a considerable time and you can't really see it on my body.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadiseFound)
    Anyway i've been thinking about cutting as I'm really fascinated to see how my body would change under lower bodyfat. As i#m not HUGE though, i'm worried if by loosing bodyfat i'll sacrifice siginifcant muscle and not be able to gain as much.
    It comes down to what do you want more? Pick a priority, stick with it for a bit.

You won't loose a huge amount of muscle if you train smart and don't cut too quickly. If by gains you mean strength, you won't make gains as easy but the newer you are to lifting the easier it is to gain strength whilst loosing weight. No matter how advanced you are it's not impossible to keep making strength gains whilst cutting. But personally, if I cut a decent amount of weight and don't get any weaker I take it as a win. Though I always aim for strength gains still and never approach training with an expectation of anything other than stronger than ever,

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    But you'd turn all the fat into muscle though
    Fat turning isn't muscle is not biologically possible

ReputationRep:
    Go for it IMO. Either you're carrying enough mass to warrant a cut without shrivelling down to nothing, or if you're not then you've not got much to lose anyway :lol: You can cut without losing much muscle if you're smart with it though. A few of my mates have done really well with this 5:2 diet, basically eating at maintenance 5 days a week and then eating 800kcal on 2 days a week. Reckon I'm gonna give it a go myself in the spring.

ReputationRep:
    Fat doesn't turn into muscle bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKS)
    Fat turning isn't muscle is not biologically possible
    He obviously means fat will be burned and muscle will be added in its place, not a literal transformation of the tissue.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fideo)
    He obviously means fat will be burned and muscle will be added in its place, not a literal transformation of the tissue.
    You'd hope so but really plenty people do think fat literally turns to muscle. The lack of fitness knowledge people have is incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Do you track macros atm?

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.