Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Why so much hatred of Halal but not Kosher? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Roughly 1.8% of the American population but practically everything has the K symbol on it. A scam to make money. Look at your British foods see how many items have a Kosher symbol on them.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about where you live but here in the UK there are 10x as many muslims as there are Jews.
    Schools and supermarkets don't secretly provide only unmarked halal meat because they like Muslims more than Jews, it is because Muslims are very good at whining and protesting to get what they want. Jews aren't, they just get on with their lives.
    So, it's just a guess but I would think that is possibly why there is more animosity towards halal ( here) and Kosher there.
    Btw, is this the only sort of post you ever do?
    Give yourself a day off. Go for a walk.😊

ReputationRep:
    In the United Kingdom Kosher foods are usually restricted to speciality butchers and grocery shops. Primarily because the Jewish population is small, and those who practice kosher even smaller, and primarily based in a centralised location i.e. London.

Whereas the Muslim population is larger, and more geographically spread. As a result a lot of restaurants, both chain and independent, serve halal food, sometimes without proper labelling. Plus there is the issue of supermarkets selling Halal meat without proper labelling, so neither muslims nor non-muslims know about it which is bad for everyone. I have no problem with halal meat so long as it has been stunned before it has it's throat slit, and that all halal products are properly labelled as such.

ReputationRep:
    No-one's forcing kosher into places like Subway. Oh what a surprise, the one that doesn't interfere with British ways doesn't get a backlash.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, there is no mass adoption of Kosher foods in UK restaurant chains, so this does not affect those who choose not to keep Kosher. Secondly, Sainsbury's at one point, showed extreme cowardice when they stopped selling Kosher foods for fear of a boycott from pro-Palestine activists.

This tells me one thing, Jewish people don't kick up nearly as much fuss as it would be in their best interests to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    No-one's forcing kosher into places like Subway. Oh what a surprise, the one that doesn't interfere with British ways doesn't get a backlash.
    I am not sure why people think we 'force' halal on to others?! As far as I am aware me and my fellow muslims could not care less if places like asda and subway sold halal meat. It's these businesses you should blame since they sell halal meat to increase sales and profits.

On a side note why do people care the way that the animal they will eat gets slaughtered. If you loved the animal so dearly you wouldn't eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rkhan57)
    On a side note why do people care the way that the animal they will eat gets slaughtered. If you loved the animal so dearly you wouldn't eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    People don't want animals to suffer. Slicing their throat open while they are conscious makes the animal suffer.

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure why people think we 'force' halal on to others?! As far as I am aware me and my fellow muslims could not care less if places like asda and subway sold halal meat. It's these businesses you should blame since they sell halal meat to increase sales and profits.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if I were to complain about the meat being Halal then people tell you to stop being Islamophobic and racist (despite race and Islamophobia not be the reason I don't want to eat it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    People don't want animals to suffer. Slicing their throat open while they are conscious makes the animal suffer.
    Exactly. Why do backwards medieval methods have to be forced on the UK? It annoys me when I see the halal symbol on every restaurant these days. Its an alien concept from a ridiculous cult.

If it was 'Scientologist' instead of muslim I wouldnt see any difference

ReputationRep:
    Became people pick and choose what they want to hate to fit their agendas.

ReputationRep:
    I dislike Halal (specifically conventional dhabīḥah) because the animal suffers. We have come a long way in the UK in animal husbandry and it is a shame to go back to medieval methods of slaughter.

I feel the same way about unstunned Kosher slaughter; it is cruel.

I will not buy either.

The difference is Halal is frequently not advertised whereas kosher is rare and usually clearly advertised.

Hence I will not buy meat (anything, actually) from the likes of Subway and other providers that sell unadvertised halal meat any more.

ReputationRep:
    You don't want the animal to suffer yet you want it dead so you can eat it? If you cared so much about the animal and it suffering you wouldn't eat it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You don't want the animal to suffer yet you want it dead so you can eat it? If you cared so much about the animal and it suffering you wouldn't eat it?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I still want to eat meat. I just don't want the animal to suffer.

We have methods of killing animals in the UK which means the animals does not have to suffer, so why make them suffer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yo radical one)
    Firstly, there is no mass adoption of Kosher foods in UK restaurant chains, so this does not affect those who choose not to keep Kosher. Secondly, Sainsbury's at one point, showed extreme cowardice when they stopped selling Kosher foods for fear of a boycott from pro-Palestine activists.

This tells me one thing, Jewish people don't kick up nearly as much fuss as it would be in their best interests to.
    That wasn't Kosher food that was food produced in Israel

ReputationRep:
    To people saying muslims force their hala food doen food chains, can anyone find me an example where Muslims have campaigned to get Halal food asopted by a food chain?

Yes once a store claims to be halal do you read a few stories regarding muslims complaining that said store doesn't fully follow halal etiquette and that's understandable as it'll then be deemed to be false advertising.

But can ANYONE find me an example where a large portion of the muslim population has taken to the street forcing a food chain or a store to start doing halal meat?

Seems like these threads just attract bigots with an agenda who say false things and no voice of reason.

BTW I'm not even muslims, rather an ex-muslim, so don't try you ad-hominems on me.

ReputationRep:
    I still want to eat meat. I just don't want the animal to suffer.

We have methods of killing animals in the UK which means the animals does not have to suffer, so why make them suffer?
    It's annoying how you are trying to insinuate that you care for the animal. Would you eat a dog? I think not since you actually care for it and don't want it dead so you can eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is the argument for Halal meat, that sitting the throat is a humane method. Well, it was, compared to beating them to death or running them off a cliff. But we have moved on since then and have even more humane methods that cause less suffering.

Halal and kosher killing are anachronisms and either faith insisting on them without stunning first is failing to understand the purpose of their own scripture: to prevent disease in the eater and suffering of the animal.

ReputationRep:
    It's annoying how you are trying to insinuate that you care for the animal. Would you eat a dog? I think not since you actually care for it and don't want it dead so you can eat it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, animals that eat meat do not produce tasty meat themselves.

I have cared for animals, I have worked on farms. I do care about animals as I do not want them to suffer for no reason. Why would anyone want an animal to suffer?

ReputationRep:
    No, animals that eat meat do not produce tasty meat themselves.

I have cared for animals, I have worked on farms. I do care about animals as I do not want them to suffer for no reason. Why would anyone want an animal to suffer?
    My point is you don't want the animal to suffer but you want it dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    My point is you don't want the animal to suffer but you want it dead?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah. I still want to dead, I just don't want it to suffer in death.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.