Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    what sort of theory do you think is likely to come up about SHM?

Are we expected to derive the equations in the written paper for SHM
    You don't need to derive equations.

Theory could explain energy transfer, phase differences, resonance, effects of damping on oscillations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    You don't need to derive equations.

Theory could explain energy transfer, phase differences, resonance, effects of damping on oscillations etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah, so glad we don't have to derive them.

I'm confident with energy transfer, resonance, and the effects of damping, but the idea of "phase difference" has always been one of my weaknesses in maths and now physics. I've never been able to get my head around it

If another question comes up about 2 oscillating objects with a difference of e.g 0.1s, I'm just gonna attempt to multiply the difference by the smaller time etc and that's when they're next in phase right. Hope that will work lmao

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Ah, so glad we don't have to derive them.

I'm confident with energy transfer, resonance, and the effects of damping, but the idea of "phase difference" has always been one of my weaknesses in maths and now physics. I've never been able to get my head around it

If another question comes up about 2 oscillating objects with a difference of e.g 0.1s, I'm just gonna attempt to multiply the difference by the smaller time etc and that's when they're next in phase right. Hope that will work lmao
    Erm, you'd divide the difference by the smaller period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Erm, you'd divide the difference by the smaller period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are we supposed to know an equation for phase difference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 000alex)
    Are we supposed to know an equation for phase difference?
    Nope. Just that phase differences can vary sinusoidally so two oscillators can be anywhere between 0 and 2 \pi radians out of phase.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mai.H)
    Thank you so much!
    No worries - hope that helps clear it up

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys think about only doing the packs of questions for the old spec PHYA4 unit and maybe only 1 or 2 current spec papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    What do you guys think about only doing the packs of questions for the old spec PHYA4 unit and maybe only 1 or 2 current spec papers?
    I'd say it's best to do it the other way around really.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I'd say it's best to do it the other way around really.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wouldn't doing the packs strengthen your understanding in each sub-topic so then you could tackle a real paper much easier?

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't doing the packs strengthen your understanding in each sub-topic so then you could tackle a real paper much easier?
    Whatever seems best for you then - I'd just definitely get used to the latest style of questions if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Half of doing papers at A level is knowing the format of the papers and understanding what will actually get you the marks. So yes, doing harder things to improve your understanding will help, but only if you also do enough actual papers to know what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Whatever seems best for you then - I'd just definitely get used to the latest style of questions if I were you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Half of doing papers at A level is knowing the format of the papers and understanding what will actually get you the marks. So yes, doing harder things to improve your understanding will help, but only if you also do enough actual papers to know what they want.
    I'll try to incorporate both techniques then.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    How much detail are we expected to know for the derivation of the acceleration of SHM?

Do we need to know to compare (2 \pi f)^2 to - \frac{k}{m} and - \frac{g}{l} for masses on springs and simple pendulums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd say do both, do them in order and you will rattle though them in no time. I think you could do 01-09 in a day

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    How much detail are we expected to know for the derivation of the acceleration of SHM?

Do we need to know to compare (2 \pi f)^2 to - \frac{k}{m} and - \frac{g}{l} for masses on springs and simple pendulums?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't know if this is linked, but In the old spec there are quite a few questions linking shm of a pendulum to the grav constant on earth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    Don't know if this is linked, but In the old spec there are quite a few questions linking shm of a pendulum to the grav constant on earth

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the period of the pendulum depends on g - is this what you mean?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be some synoptic units that are not on the web. If you haven't access to them i can upload them on here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    There seems to be some synoptic units that are not on the web. If you haven't access to them i can upload them on here
    How do you mean, sorry? Anything that might help is welcome on the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    How do you mean, sorry? Anything that might help is welcome on the thread!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, because i wasn't sure if you have access to them as they are not available on the AQA website. In don't have access to a PC right now but i will upload them tomorrow right after I've finished my exam

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.