Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Do you always assume the amplitude to be the horizontal distance from the equilibrium then?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, if the amplitude is small enough but i think the amplitude is the arc of the oscillation, isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DCMed96)
    A quick question: is magnetic flux density a scalar or vector? I did a question and it said it is a vector, but I don't really get it, can someone explain why?
    It is a vector quantity but i really dint know why. It's magnetic flux per unit area of a magnetic field at right angles to the magnetic field. I think the magnetic field with which magnetic flux is defined makes flux density a vector

EDIT: or maybe in terms of B=F/(IL), force makes flux density a vector. Not sure to be honest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me how to do this question please? The answer is C and I do not see how!

Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-07-13-01-17~01.png
Views: 97
Size:  282.1 KB

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    A quick question: is magnetic flux density a scalar or vector? I did a question and it said it is a vector, but I don't really get it, can someone explain why?
    Vector - B = F/IL

It therefore depends on a vector, making it a vector quantity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    Yeah, if the amplitude is small enough but i think the amplitude is the arc of the oscillation, isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think so!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi can someone please explain the (i) and (iii) parts of this six marker from the specimen paper to me please?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433679027.585974.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  125.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433679066.093318.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  116.2 KBName:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433679082.207933.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  121.4 KB

The natural frequency of the spring system is 1.5Hz

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's defined as magnetic flux per unit area, which can be seen as number of field lines per unit area. Area is a scalar so we can ignore that and concentrate on number of field lines. Field lines are clearly vectors, so number of field lines = number*field lines = scalar*vector = vector. Thus magnetic flux per unit area = number of field lines per unit area = number of field lines / area = vector / scalar = vector.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Can someone help me how to do this question please? The answer is C and I do not see how!

Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-07-13-01-17~01.png
Views: 97
Size:  282.1 KB

Thank you in advance
    Does this help?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433679623.536001.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  95.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyKC)
    Hi can someone please explain the (i) and (iii) parts of this six marker from the specimen paper to me please?Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433679027.585974.jpg
Size:  121.4 KB

The natural frequency of the spring system is 1.5Hz

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Which paper is this In please?

It's all about forced oscillations and how a driving force from the rod makes the mass spring system either resonate or damp. I'll do it later unless someone eats me to it

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi would it be possible for you to explain the equation used In part c final question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Does this help?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433679623.536001.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  95.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh my! Thank you! I didn't think of it like that!

ReputationRep:
    Oh my! Thank you! I didn't think of it like that!
    No worries! Tricky question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeddyKC)
Size:  121.4 KBThe natural frequency of the spring system is 1.5HzPosted from TSR Mobile
    i) Driving frequency 0.2Hz is much less than the natural frequency of the system 1.5Hz, so the two are roughly in phase and the system is forced to vibrate at an amplitude that is less than at natural frequency

ii) Driving frequency equals the natural frequency of the system so the system oscillates with rapidly increasing amplitude as it gains more and more energy from the driving force, eventually reaching resonance where it oscillates at its maximum possible amplitude.

iii) Driving frequency 10Hz is much more than the natural frequency of the system 1.5Hz, so the two are completely out of phase and the system is forced to vibrate at an amplitude that is less than at natural frequency.

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what might come up in six marker this year?
    What's the hardest thing AQA can throw on us??

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what might come up in six marker this year?
    What's the hardest thing AQA can throw on us??
    SHM application question or a momentum question I think.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this question please?

Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-07-13-46-36~01.png
Views: 84
Size:  233.0 KB

Thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEWT0N)
    i) Driving frequency 0.2Hz is much less than the natural frequency of the system 1.5Hz, so the two are roughly in phase and the system is forced to vibrate at an amplitude that is less than at natural frequency

ii) Driving frequency equals the natural frequency of the system so the system oscillates with rapidly increasing amplitude as it gains more and more energy from the driving force, eventually reaching resonance where it oscillates at its maximum possible amplitude.

iii) Driving frequency 10Hz is much more than the natural frequency of the system 1.5Hz, so the two are completely out of phase and the system is forced to vibrate at an amplitude that is less than at natural frequency.
    Thank you!
    But I still don't quite understand, why are they roughly in phase if the frequency of the driver is much less than they natural frequency and vice versa for (iii) ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I can do these, but sometimes fail at them. Ended up with a quadratic which is totally wrong. Some help please.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433681576.471548.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  79.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me with this question please?

Name:  Screenshot_2015-06-07-13-46-36~01.png
Views: 84
Size:  233.0 KB

Thank you in advance
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433681705.022127.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  122.7 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    Sometimes I can do these, but sometimes fail at them. Ended up with a quadratic which is totally wrong. Some help please.

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433681576.471548.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  79.3 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

\dfrac{8}{2} = \dfrac{x^2}{(60-x)^2}

Where x is the distance to the 8nC charge.

\therefore 4 = \dfrac{x^2}{(60-x)^2}

\therefore 2 = \dfrac{x}{(60-x)}

\therefore 2(60-x) = x

\therefore 120 - 2x = x

\therefore 120 = 3x

\therefore 40 = x

Does that help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.