For question 3 use (rate^2* density)/area

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433756814.475089.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  27.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433756823.436936.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  34.3 KB

I can understand how to get part c ii. I found the distance between them but then it's makes the energy required equal to v

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433757400.547780.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433757410.062899.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  42.4 KB

I'm also stuck on these 2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433756814.475089.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  27.5 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433756823.436936.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  34.3 KB

I can understand how to get part c ii. I found the distance between them but then it's makes the energy required equal to v

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I couldn't make sense of the first method they use but i would suggest you stick with the method you understand. This method is the same as the second method of the mark scheme
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433758478.099329.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  156.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433757400.547780.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  40.1 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433757410.062899.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  42.4 KB

I'm also stuck on these 2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The top one is 'B'.Electromagnetic induction only happens, in this case, when the magnitude or direction of flux changes. When the current is increasing, there's em induction going on, when its constant nothing happens,

Sorry I'm bad at explaining...haha

The other one...come on, that's pretty straight forward
    GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r where M is the mass of the sun and m the mass of the earth,r is the distance, = radius of earth + orbital radius + radius of the sun

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain Q5(c) from Jan '11 Section B

I keep struggling with it.

Is natural frequency the same as fundamental frequency?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    You need to equate the force exerted by the sun on the earth keeping the earth in its orbit.
    The distance from the centre of the sun to the centre of the earth, the radius of the orbit, is given to you.
    Attachment 420775

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's what I did but I don't get the correct answer. I may be using the wrong value for r. I thought r would be the radius of the orbit + the radius of the earth?

ReputationRep:
    What type of calculator does everyone plane to use during this exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lebanon95)
    I used to take both my scientific calculator from gcse and my graphical calculator that I have for maths but now I'm more used to the graphical one (and it's a lot easier to do big equations on because you can see more at once) so I just take that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Can someone please explain Q5(c) from Jan '11 Section B

I keep struggling with it.

Is natural frequency the same as fundamental frequency?
    Yes, the fundamental mode of vibration of a string is such that the length of the string is half the wavelength. And when the string vibrates in this mode, this frequency is also the natural frequency of the string. So if a periodic driving force is applied at that frequency, the string resonates.

ReputationRep:
    A graphical (Casio fx-9860GII) and scientific (Casio fx 991 es plus). Sadly I will have to part ways with my graphical calculator as I head to uni; they aren't permitted in exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    A graphical (Casio fx-9860GII) and scientific (Casio fx 991 es plus). Sadly I will have to part ways with my graphical calculator as I head to uni; they aren't permitted in exams.
    What do you use the graphical one for ? My brother has a casio fx-cg 20 wondering if i should take it in or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tawaz1997)
    The top one is 'B'.Electromagnetic induction only happens, in this case, when the magnitude or direction of flux changes. When the current is increasing, there's em induction going on, when its constant nothing happens,

Sorry I'm bad at explaining...haha

The other one...come on, that's pretty straight forward
    GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r where M is the mass of the sun and m the mass of the earth,r is the distance, = radius of earth + orbital radius + radius of the sun

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Guys,
    Here is the answer sheet for the multiple choice section. you must do all your rough work of the multiple choice section on the question paper and then choose the correct answer on this sheet.
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf OTQ 01_no trims.pdf (271.9 KB, 146 views)

ReputationRep:
    What do you use the graphical one for ? My brother has a casio fx-cg 20 wondering if i should take it in or not.
    There isn't really anything you can use it for in Phys4. I just use it to verify answers in maths.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone say if I'm right or wrong. For transformers in a step up transformer does the voltage increase as there are more bindings on the secondary core. So when a magnetic flux is induced in the core it cuts the bindings and produces a voltage, the more bindings the more magnetic flux induced and therefore a bigger emf?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone say if I'm right or wrong. For transformers in a step up transformer does the voltage increase as there are more bindings on the secondary core. So when a magnetic flux is induced in the core it cuts the bindings and produces a voltage, the more bindings the more magnetic flux induced and therefore a bigger emf?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    By more bindings do you mean more number of turns?
    A step up transformer has more number of turns on the secondary 'coil' than on the primary coil and so when the primary coil is connected to an a.c. supply an alternating magnetic field is produced is the core of the transformer. This will induce an alternating magnetic field in the secondary coil and since the secondary coil has more turns the induced emf in the secondary coil is greater(Faraday's law), than the emf supplied to the primary coil.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
    By more bindings do you mean more number of turns?
    A step up transformer has more number of turns on the secondary 'coil' than on the primary coil and so when the primary coil is connected to an a.c. supply an alternating magnetic field is produced is the core of the transformer. This will induce an alternating magnetic field in the secondary coil and since the secondary coil has more turns the induced emf in the secondary coil is greater(Faraday's law), than the emf supplied to the primary coil.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I do!

Thanks that's what i was trying to say, you're so much better at explanations but it works in my head!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain Q1(b)(iii) from Jun '12 Section B.

I do not understand the second step in the mark scheme.

Thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    We have the same calculators haha Ngl though, I hate my graphics one, only use it in further maths when I have to. It takes like three buttons to delete one line of working! (also it scares me with how much it can do)

The casio fx-911ES plus is great though!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.