Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Just to verify... when the force on the wire is downwards due to flemings left hand rule then would the scale reading decrease because of a reaction force and vice versa if the force is upwards? If so what would the reaction force be?

Thanks for any help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klaxoii)
    And this question, Attachment 423969

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Here's my solution:
    Attached Images

• Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Hi. Where do you find that file?

ReputationRep:
    Six marker predictions??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)
    Can anyone help?

Attachment 424073

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Since it's at the midpoint the field strengths from the masses are the same but in opposite directions so the resultant field strength is 0 at the midpoint. For the potential, use V=-\frac{GM}{R} to get that the potential due to each mass is -\frac{Gm}{r/2}=-\frac{2Gm}{r}, so total potential is -\frac{4Gm}{r} (potential is scalar so it's simple algebraic addition).

Answer: C

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xela238)
    Six marker predictions??
    Lol you've already asked this, and to be fair, I don't think it can be predicted because the examiners aren't that stupid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFahima)
    Hi. Where do you find that file?
    Examiner's report

ReputationRep:
    Six marker predictions??
    It won't be something we could predict

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEWT0N)
    Examiner's report
    That's it

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Examiner's report
    Thank youu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MsFahima)
    Thank youu!
    No worries
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Six marker predictions??
    We will deffo have questions on Capacitors and SHM because our EMPA's were about that. But I really hope the six marker isn't capacitors. I have them!

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound completely crazy but I think I've decided that my strategy is going to be to answer all the wordy questions in the multiple choice first (at least 7 quick easy marks to get me going while brain still fresh) then do section A, then do the rest of the multiple choice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    Great question!! I keep asking this and get different answers but a tutor said to me the other day that as long as it's the right way and right answer for your way it doesn't matter what you use in your calculations as technically the examiner should be going through your workings to see what you've done. Sf only really matter when writing your answers (mainly ones that ask for sf) and NOT in the calculations....
    Please someone correct me again if I'm wrong
    Yeah I need to get out of the habit of writing down a formula and an answer with no step inbetween I guess

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else thinking of doing a quickie MC right before the exam? It would have to be different to the ones on the AQA site because I know the answer to those already. Any unofficial MC's floating around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJBinn)
    Yeah I need to get out of the habit of writing down a formula and an answer with no step inbetween I guess
    Well i think you should do in the writing section. In the multiple choice you don't have to which i tend to do them on my calculator

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else thinking of doing a quickie MC right before the exam? It would have to be different to the ones on the AQA site because I know the answer to those already. Any unofficial MC's floating around?
    I couldn't quite get you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MSB47)
    Just to verify... when the force on the wire is downwards due to flemings left hand rule then would the scale reading decrease because of a reaction force and vice versa if the force is upwards? If so what would the reaction force be?

Thanks for any help

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The reaction force would be equal the the exerted force. Where did you get that paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Haha I just remembered the looks I got from the examiner last year when I almost dislocated my shoulder attempting the LHR

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
    Haha I just remembered the looks I got from the examiner last year when I almost dislocated my shoulder attempting the LHR
    Haha this year I'll be putting my thumbs up at her!!

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.