Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bwr19)
    Haha I've realised this now after making the same mistake on a similar question. Thanks for the help.
    Just did some workings

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433942799.701302.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  42.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433942755.476590.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  66.6 KB

Am I right in thinking that if all the charges where positive they would cancel each other out and the potential would become zero

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  410.2 KB
    (Original post by michaelotty)
    Use E=(1/2)CV^2 for capacitors
    also P = ΔW/Δt

then you can derive P = ((1/2)CV2)/Δt
    so Attachment 424447=3.5x106W=4.5MW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sbarron)
Views: 77
Size:  410.2 KB

You beat me to it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gcsestuff)

Am I right in thinking that if all the charges where positive they would cancel each other out and the potential would become zero

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, potential is a scalar sum. If you had 2 negative charges and 2 positive charges opposite each other they would cancel out. In this instance, you have to use Pythagoras to get the distance to the centre. You know the opposite charges on the diagonal edges cancel, so therefore you just have the 2 positive charges to deal with. Find out R and sub this in to the potential equation (V=Q/kr)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Just did some workings

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433942799.701302.jpg
Views: 98
Size:  42.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    CD223 has just out played me

ReputationRep:
Views: 99
Size:  500.3 KB

Just found this if it helps? My workings out have my own little codes going on as I don't do maths lol
    (Original post by gcsestuff)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennethm)
    CD223 has just out played me
    Lol! Not outplayed dw

ReputationRep:
Views: 69
Size:  165.4 KB
    (Original post by EHR223)
    No, potential is a scalar sum. If you had 2 negative charges and 2 positive charges opposite each other they would cancel out. In this instance, you have to use Pythagoras to get the distance to the centre. You know the opposite charges on the diagonal edges cancel, so therefore you just have the 2 positive charges to deal with. Find out R and sub this in to the potential equation (V=Q/kr)
    Yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by palaseum9)
    Something like this?

Are you sure it's right to say the viol is parallel?? To me it is perpendicular but in the SAME PLANE

ReputationRep:
    Oh I see what you mean parallel as in the coil as a whole structure... I would still be tempted just to say when the coil is in the same plane instead but what do I know lol

ReputationRep:
    Hi, does anybody know how to solve this?

ReputationRep:
    How many past papers is everyone doing tonight?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got resources for those question that test inverse proportionality. I really don't understand like he ones say force at midpoint is 5N which is force at 0.75m

i know you have to use the inverse square law .. but I strggle, any resource / videos?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    How many past papers is everyone doing tonight?
    might look through all of them and see if there are any that i think i have no idea!! 6 marker suggestion was SHM right?

ReputationRep:
    How do you do 1cii lol, I don't know anything

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The answer to this is zero? Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1433945590.035900.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  49.5 KB
    I still don't understand

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    in a uniform field the electric field strength is the same all over in between the plates so just calculate it using E=V/d

Important thing to remember is in a uniform electric field although the electric field strength is constant all over the electric potential isn't constant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennethm)
    in a uniform field the electric field strength is the same all over in between the plates so just calculate it using E=V/d

Important thing to remember is in a uniform electric field although the electric field strength is constant all over the electric potential isn't constant.
    How do you calculate V? is it just the difference of the top and bottom plates?

and what about the distance, is it just the distance between the plates, or half of it because T is in the middle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    well T is half way so do 3+1 and divide by 2 =2V then use E=V/d So 2/0.6 = 3.3

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.