Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please help with question 4 c(I) http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JAN13.PDF . Why is the force on +4.0 charge going to the right and force on +6.0 charge going to the left, surely because they're alike charges they would go like this...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  438.2 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IWantSomeMushu)
    Six marker on SHM please, AQA!
    What would they ask about SHM and how would you answer that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Specter)
    Wow. When you come across a question you dont get how long would you spend on it max before guessing an answer?
    literally 30 seconds unless you feel like you're onto something or mid-calculation.
    That seems to be the most efficient.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemainSilent)
    6 MARKER : Potato set into hard harmonic motion and describing the damping effects
    Jesus christ hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HyperGamma)
    Could someone please explain why you need AC for a cyclotron?

Thanks
    AC accelerates the particles across the gap between the Dees. The path radius increases after each successive acceleration, so the path spirals outwards from the center of the source. The particle emerges from the cycltron when the radius of the orbit is equal to the radius of the dee. The period of the AC voltage must be equal to the time taken by a particle in one complete cycle.

ReputationRep:
    When do we use the RH rule?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante991)
    It's the last year of the spec, any idea of how that will reflect on the paper?

Knowing how ***** the exam boards are, they'll probably go out with a bang

Doesn't help that all the other exams people are saying have been the hardest ever. I expect them to drop the same bombshell this time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    I'm praying they ask about a resonance one like in the specimen paper! How the phase different varies with the driving frequency!
    Anyone think it could be on transformers, energy losses? That hasn't come up in a while, would be a great 6 marker!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aprocrastinator)
    When do we use the RH rule?
    When you move a wire in a magnetic field.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruity97)
    I'm praying they ask about a resonance one like in the specimen paper! How the phase different varies with the driving frequency!
    Anyone think it could be on transformers, energy losses? That hasn't come up in a while, would be a great 6 marker!
    Do you have a link to the spec paper and mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    No idea. I'm just bad at 6 markers but I feel as though I can blag SHM because I studied it in M3 as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knighty437)
    Do you have a link to the spec paper and mark scheme?
    http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/...b_specimen.pdf

http://www.tomred.org/uploads/7/7/8/...4_specimen.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Average grade boundary for A*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    Knowing how ***** the exam boards are, they'll probably go out with a bang

Doesn't help that all the other exams people are saying have been the hardest ever. I expect them to drop the same bombshell this time
    Too right, I don't understand how uni requirements are getting higher and the exams along with the boundaries are getting harder. I understand the whole thing about separating the smarter students but this is just ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennethm)
    literally 30 seconds unless you feel like you're onto something or mid-calculation.
    That seems to be the most efficient.
    What do you usually get on papers then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JIBBYMALIK)
    Average grade boundary for A*?
    Last year it was 61/75, the highest its ever been so I feel it will be 60 or 59

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fruity97)
    Can someone please help with question 4 c(I) http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JAN13.PDF . Why is the force on +4.0 charge going to the right and force on +6.0 charge going to the left, surely because they're alike charges they would go like this...Name:  image.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  438.2 KB
    Please anyone?!

ReputationRep:
    do you have the multiple choice paper as well please?

ReputationRep:
    although cyclotrons came up in june 2013, might it come up again?

ReputationRep:
    From CD223's revision notes: "Rate of change of flux linkage is at: Min when coil perpendicular to field, Max when parallel."

But I thought the emf induced was at a maximum when the coil is perpendicular to the field? So shouldn't the rate of flux linkage be at a maximum when cutting the field lines? Could someone clarify this

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.