Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah well any break is a nice break

Oh wow! I have so much homework and coursework lately that I haven't had the chance to revise. Kinda sucks! Hoping they let us off over Easter so I can revise!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Not this one! Nothing more annoying than interruptions when you're actually getting into things :| Ah well... just got my hw left to do tomorrow now

You'd hope they would! Only 4 more weeks until Easter anyway...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Not this one! Nothing more annoying than interruptions when you're actually getting into things :| Ah well... just got my hw left to do tomorrow now

You'd hope they would! Only 4 more weeks until Easter anyway...
    A scarily short term this one! Core 3 exam seemed ages ago about a month back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    A scarily short term this one! Core 3 exam seemed ages ago about a month back...
    Yeah everything felt really distant up until the last few weeks or so and now it's almost here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Yeah everything felt really distant up until the last few weeks or so and now it's almost here...
    Which is kinda scary. This time last year I swear I felt 100x more prepared than I do now haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I need an A, ideally I'd like to get an A* though :/
    I would like to get an A* too

You should check out the AQA UMS Converter to see how much UMS/Raw marks you need in the exam to get an A*.

The UMS points are actually pretty weird.

You can get a minimum of around 69/75 raw marks in PHYA4 and get 100% UMS in that exam.

Same goes for the Unit 5 exam where you can get a minimum of around 57/75 raw marks and get 100% UMS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)

You should check out the AQA UMS Converter to see how much UMS/Raw marks you need in the exam to get an A*.

You can get a minimum of around 69/75 raw marks in PHYA4 and get 100% UMS in that exam.

Same goes for the Unit 5 exam where you can get a minimum of around 57/75 raw marks and get 100% UMS.
    The unit 5 figure is insane!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anyone know why thats the case for Unit 5? I've not done much of it yet - is it really hard?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Which is kinda scary. This time last year I swear I felt 100x more prepared than I do now haha!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well last year I did basically nothing until much closer to exams to this year should go pretty smoothly but you never know!

ReputationRep:

Yeah I use it a lot, AQA is my exam board for Maths/Further Maths as well so I check all my past paper results where I can because UMS is equally as important as the raw mark (raw mark shows you where you need to work, UMS shows you how you actually did in the eyes of the exam board!).

Grade boundaries for Physics are just ridiculous though - A/A* are really low, but then very often the pass boundary is normal/high so the grades end up more squashed together than you'd expect I think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Yeah I use it a lot, AQA is my exam board for Maths/Further Maths as well so I check all my past paper results where I can because UMS is equally as important as the raw mark (raw mark shows you where you need to work, UMS shows you how you actually did in the eyes of the exam board!).

Grade boundaries for Physics are just ridiculous though - A/A* are really low, but then very often the pass boundary is normal/high so the grades end up more squashed together than you'd expect I think?
    Yes that is very true, the 'pass' grade boundaries are very high and the raw mark difference between the grades are very squished!

There is a 13 raw mark difference between a D and an A grade for the JUne 2014 season! I do not really think that's fair, but are we to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wmavfc)
    Anyone know why thats the case for Unit 5? I've not done much of it yet - is it really hard?
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    From what I have learnt so far I do not think that Unit 5 is that hard but the UMS grade boundaries suggests that it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wmavfc)
    It's not impossible but then I wouldn't call any of physics "easy". I find the very early further mechanics topics - momentum and circular motion the easiest. Radioactivity is nice. Thermal physics can be hard. Astro so far is okay but I've not done much or enough to pass judgement on that.

How much have you got left?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Well last year I did basically nothing until much closer to exams to this year should go pretty smoothly but you never know!
    Last year I started revising in January for some absurd reason. This year I'm yet to start properly lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    From what I have learnt so far I do not think that Unit 5 is that hard but the UMS grade boundaries suggests that it is
    Content wise Id argue it's not hard but the exam questions seem to be difficult. Also, it's only examined in June so a severe lack of past papers can't help boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Last year I started revising in January for some absurd reason. This year I'm yet to start properly lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I tried to start early and then got bored after a few weeks and didn't start up until exams pretty much

ReputationRep:
    Yes that is very true, the 'pass' grade boundaries are very high and the raw mark difference between the grades are very squished!

There is a 13 raw mark difference between a D and an A grade for the JUne 2014 season! I do not really think that's fair, but are we to do.
    The June 2014 paper was pretty short on time though, which is doubly horrible with the multiple choice section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    The June 2014 paper was pretty short on time though, which is doubly horrible with the multiple choice section.
    Ah yes, I really hate the multiple choice questions, I spend way too much time on that.
    I think the multiple choice will cost me a lot of marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Content wise Id argue it's not hard but the exam questions seem to be difficult. Also, it's only examined in June so a severe lack of past papers can't help boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah yes that's true, the content isn't too difficult.

I haven't seen any past papers yet but I do know that there is only half as many past paper material for Unit 5 compared to Unit 4.

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes, I really hate the multiple choice questions, I spend way too much time on that.
    I think the multiple choice will cost me a lot of marks.
    I kind of enjoy doing the multiple choice section but they still go with a mark a minute so there isn't enough time to do both halves properly in the exam sometimes :/ and the multiple choice makes up a big enough part of the marks that you need to do it properly to do really well because you're unlikely to get full marks on the written, there's always some stupid mistakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I tried to start early and then got bored after a few weeks and didn't start up until exams pretty much
    I hope I don't end up doing that this year...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.