Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySP)
    Were there more than 6 for the AS exams? I remember there being more than that. That, or I just kept repeating the papers.
    I didn't really do many past papers for Unit 1, which was a mistake.
    Seem to remember doing loads for Unit 2 though, and not running out. Don't know though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wmavfc)
    I didn't really do many past papers for Unit 1, which was a mistake.
    Seem to remember doing loads for Unit 2 though, and not running out. Don't know though.
    Yeah there were more past papers for unit 1 & 2 I think. Unit 5 is pretty short on papers as well? Apparently 1/4 of people at my college failed each of the exams last year. Jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Yeah there were more past papers for unit 1 & 2 I think. Unit 5 is pretty short on papers as well? Apparently 1/4 of people at my college failed each of the exams last year. Jeez.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'll be pleased to hear the grade boundaries for Unit 5 are even lower than those for Unit 4.. don't know whether that's good news or not!

ReputationRep:
    You'll be pleased to hear the grade boundaries for Unit 5 are even lower than those for Unit 4.. don't know whether that's good news or not!
    Oh they are? Do they fluctuate depending on the difficulty of the optional unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Here's a Unit 4 Revision Sheet I created, so I may as well share it. However, I wouldn't recommend using it as your main/only source of revision, since there's bound to be some little bits missing
    I'd mix it with the A2 Revision Guides, the internet, etc. to cover all bases, and good luck
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx PHYA4 Revision Notes.docx (152.9 KB, 954 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanWinder1997)
    Here's a Unit 4 Revision Sheet I created, so I may as well share it. However, I wouldn't recommend using it as your main/only source of revision, since there's bound to be some little bits missing
    I'd mix it with the A2 Revision Guides, the internet, etc. to cover all bases, and good luck
    Thank you so much! That's great! Which parts of PHYA4 do you find hardest? And how do you prepare?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh they are? Do they fluctuate depending on the difficulty of the optional unit?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah they seemed to slightly but not massively. I'm doing astrophysics which we kind of started last year. I enjoyed it but think questions could get quite difficult.

ReputationRep:
    Really don't like the multiple choice questions, we've started unit 5 about the discovery of the electron and I find that stuff very easy compared to unit 4... I don't know if this is the same for everyone else or?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they seemed to slightly but not massively. I'm doing astrophysics which we kind of started last year. I enjoyed it but think questions could get quite difficult.
    Ah nice! We start astro in 3 weeks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonoTaylor)
    Really don't like the multiple choice questions, we've started unit 5 about the discovery of the electron and I find that stuff very easy compared to unit 4... I don't know if this is the same for everyone else or?
    The nuclear unit was easier than fields yeah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any tips for improving timing other than practice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeithHayward)
    Anyone got any tips for improving timing other than practice?
    Work out the time per mark ratio and stick to it regardless. Then if you find you have time remaining at the end go back through work. Sounds obvious but it's so easy to go over the minutes per mark allowance on the MC.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm concerned about the lack of past papers. I have mocks next week and am wary of just doing all the papers I can find. As far as I know there are only around 6 official papers to this specification and I'm concerned that I'll just learn them if I keep doing them which isn't really very good for revision. I know there's something called 'exampro' which might help but there isn't much information about it. It seems to be extra papers made by AQA but costs £80 which I'd have to try and get the school to pay for I guess.
    Does anyone have any advice/ resources they can share?
    Hi there!

I think there's actually 8 past papers for this Unit 4 exam.

You find it here.

The June 2014 paper should be released in late April/March so that'll make 9 past paper material.
    Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone

I'm also doing AQA A2 Physics and as of right now I find Unit 4 pretty good, nothing too hard or too easy.

I have used the CGP A2 Physics text guide to help me with revision and it is amazing!
    I definitely recommend this to all AQA Physics students.

A2-Level Physics for AQA A: Student Book

SAMPLE PAGES

Hope this helps, good luck with your exams :^_^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Hi everyone

I'm also doing AQA A2 Physics and as of right now I find Unit 4 pretty good, nothing too hard or too easy.

I have used the CGP A2 Physics text guide to help me with revision and it is amazing!
    I definitely recommend this to all AQA Physics students.

A2-Level Physics for AQA A: Student Book

SAMPLE PAGES

Hope this helps, good luck with your exams :^_^:
    Hey, welcome to the thread! Which topic of phya4 do you find hardest? Have you found the phya5 thread?

Here if you need it:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=3047351

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Hi there!

I think there's actually 8 past papers for this Unit 4 exam.

You find it here.

The June 2014 paper should be released in late April/March so that'll make 9 past paper material.
    Hope that helps.
    You are correct! I guess I got a bit ahead of myself worrying before I actually counted them Nothing compared to the countless Core 3/4 papers people have created for maths, though!!

ReputationRep:
    You are correct! I guess I got a bit ahead of myself worrying before I actually counted them Nothing compared to the countless Core 3/4 papers people have created for maths, though!!
    Yeah maths is basically infinite in terms of past questions haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Work out the time per mark ratio and stick to it regardless. Then if you find you have time remaining at the end go back through work. Sounds obvious but it's so easy to go over the minutes per mark allowance on the MC.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is something my teachers have been drilling since we started, thanks for the tip

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KeithHayward)
    This is something my teachers have been drilling since we started, thanks for the tip
    Ah me too! No worries! I'm not enjoying the MC :/ kinda wish all the paper was written like last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't take physics last year haha, I'll be doing it all this year. I'm finding it quite fun though...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.