The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JizzaStanger
Yeah it was: damping is less with the ring.

Explanation: Cross sectional area of the cone is unaffected by the ring, so the drag force due to air resistance experienced by the cone and the cone with the ring is the same. A force results in a change in momentum, so both cones have the same change in momentum due to drag, however the cone with the ring has greater mass. The same change in momentum but a larger mass means a smaller reduction in velocity due to air resistance. This means a lower rate of reduction of velocity for the cone with the ring, and so it loses kinetic energy at a lower rate.

IMHO they didn't give enough space or marks for virtually any of the descriptive type questions.

Could you explain what was wrong with my answer then?If a system is damped the amplitude of oscillations would decrease.Using Vmax=2 x Pi x f x A we can see that A depends on only Vmax and the frequency of oscillations. Neither of these variables are affected by the mass of the pendulum bob so therefore there is no change when the mass is increased.
Reply 4441
Wasn't the electric potential 1.56x10^3 or something?

Then work done 4.15 x 10^-5?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4442
Original post by xela238
I worked out V for each one using the V=Q/constant x r^2 then used work done = difference in V x Q to get the work done

Yh i did that now and got 4x10^ -4?? people are saying x10^-5
the thing about the mistake is that a lot of students would have spent more time on it than other students meaning the rest of the paper could also be effected. Hate it when this happens mainly because Im so sure I would have got it correct if it was 300 ohms as opposed to 300kohms and it would have worked in my favour since i know a lot of other students wouldn't have got it correct lol.

Im sitting here trying to remember the rest of the MC Q's but i guess it's pointless.
Original post by xela238
I worked out V for each one using the V=Q/constant x r^2 then used work done = difference in V x Q to get the work done

Yeah same here, apparently there were two charges involved though? Can anyone remember the exact situation of the question?
For one question I think I got a time (or frequency) as 0.5 through 90 degrees so i doubled it to 1 (as a whole cycle on a generator is 180 degrees) was this right to do???
Original post by Tomh97
Does anyone actually know what the right answer was for the damping question?

Maybe. My teacher is Greek, those blokes practically invented physics, I asked him. He said this. So idk. Many conflicting ideas. ImageUploadedByStudent Room1434029480.999112.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Wasn't the electric potential 1.56x10^3 or something?

Then work done 4.15 x 10^-5?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep thats what i got, not sure if its correct though haha
Original post by xela238

I used that method, however i got a negative answer for the change in V and took the modulus of the answer i got
Original post by JizzaStanger
You can read about it in the attached pdf if you like. I did this just before Christmas. You'll need to have done further maths to follow the maths it but I think it's quite interesting.

I've done FM so it's sweet :smile: thanks
Flopped that badly lol. So happy I have a good AS mark
131 degrees anywhere?
Original post by ubisoft
131 degrees anywhere?

yep
What did everyone get for the field strength? Was it right just to do the radial field strength formula and the use the Q=60nC and r=0.4?
Reply 4455
Original post by ubisoft
Flopped that badly lol. So happy I have a good AS mark

What did you drop marks on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ubisoft
131 degrees anywhere?

Yep, people are saying that rather consistently. 130/131 different degrees of significant figures though. Probably won't effect the mark at all.
Original post by SuperMushroom
yep

Yesss I need every mark i can lol, did you use BANwsinwt anywhere and get like 0.06 i think?
image.jpg
Original post by jkrolling12
Yeah same here, apparently there were two charges involved though? Can anyone remember the exact situation of the question?
unofficial markscheme?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending