Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Star Light)
    Yup, all the electrons move to one plate, the other one is void of conducting electrons.
    So no halving?

ReputationRep:
    Ah no I halved the electrons :/

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what were the distances for the work done potential question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEWT0N)
    So no halving?
    Woo. One less mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I ****ed that up badly

Really badly

Done 10 past papers, that was nothing like anything of them. I've managed to be getting 110+ UMS consistently on past papers, but this I really don't think I picked up many marks at all in section B. It's like they picked all the small little details I didn't know and made the paper out of them

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    is there an unofficial mark scheme anywhere guys?

ReputationRep:
    what did people get for the transformer current

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    0.35A

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AR_95)
    0.35, so like B I think,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Woo. One less mistake

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :danceboy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salicional)
    The first part of the question used a 150Ω resistor, and the second part a 300,000Ω resistor. This lead to a graph that could not be drawn accurately, as it had to start at 1/2000th of the height of the original line! Clearly they missed a 'kilo' off the 150Ω, or added one in on the 300kΩ.
    Oh lol I didn't notice that but the geek on the row next to me did, I heard him ask the invigilator how he could draw a graph on the space given...he has autism and doesn't understand the need to whisper, it was a lower line wasn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sykik)
    Does anyone know what were the distances for the work done potential question?
    Anyone ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chizz1889)
    Drag force is the damping force but damping is how it affects the system, not the size of the force. I got it wrong too but I think we will still get 1/3 each for saying the resistive force is still the same 😊
    I still don't know what the right answer is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JizzaStanger)
    Yeah it was: damping is less with the ring.

Explanation: Cross sectional area of the cone is unaffected by the ring, so the drag force due to air resistance experienced by the cone and the cone with the ring is the same. A force results in a change in momentum, so both cones have the same change in momentum due to drag, however the cone with the ring has greater mass. The same change in momentum but a larger mass means a smaller reduction in velocity due to air resistance. This means a lower rate of reduction of velocity for the cone with the ring, and so it loses kinetic energy at a lower rate.

IMHO they didn't give enough space or marks for virtually any of the descriptive type questions.
    the maximum velocity is independent of mass
    the effect of drag is proportional to the velocity
    since the average velocity is unchanged there is no effect on damping

thats what i wrote

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NEWT0N)
    So no halving?
    It would depend on whether they asked for the change in the number of electrons or the total number of electrons. I think the change would be half but the total number wouldn't be.

The fact that one of the choices was arrived at by halving Q worries me though, because halving Q is something that you would forget to do rather than do accidentally, and so if you weren't meant to halve Q then it's unlikely they would have put it as an option :/

ReputationRep:
    If there's a mistake they discount any questions it is meant to affect, so it will be out of 73 or something :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sykik)
    Anyone ?
    0.2 and 0.5?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkrolling12)
    0.2 and 0.5?
    what was the answer for that question? did anyone else get in the region of 3000?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sykik)
    Anyone ?
    r = 0.2 and r = 0.5

in order to find them from the graph you just do 1/0.2 and 1/0.5 etc

so its was like you get 5 and 2 from the graph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xela238)
    what was the answer for that question? did anyone else get in the region of 3000?
    Yeah I think I did,I think I missed the fact that there were two charges and not just 1?

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.