The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Can someone remember/verify this please? cheers

(1) 4.4*10TOTHE POWER OF SOMETHING electrons? (not halved answer)

(2) Was the 4 coils A (the one with the larger side?)

(3) was the last ques power heat loss something?

(4) was the mass on the scale definitely -322g? (many others have said 0 for some reason)

And finally for damping
Which box did you have to tick 1st or second? the ques wording was confusing me

Additonal ques, why would the height not reach 1.4 in real life ?
1) work done against air resistance
2) thermal energy lost as heat by the motor?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by CD223
It was I'm pretty sure. B was the 0.5x0.5 one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I put A because the longer side would experience more force tand the top side would experience no force as it is parallel to to B not sure tho
Original post by RemainSilent
Can someone remember/verify this please? cheers

(1) 4.4*10TOTHE POWER OF SOMETHING electrons? (not halved answer)

(2) Was the 4 coils A (the one with the larger side?)

(3) was the last ques power heat loss something?

(4) was the mass on the scale definitely -322g? (many others have said 0 for some reason)

And finally for damping
Which box did you have to tick 1st or second? the ques wording was confusing me

1. yes, 2. no, 3. last multiple choice question? no, 4 yes

Damping was I believe the second box?
Reply 4723
Original post by CD223
Updating MS in the first post. Any help people!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For the emf induced dont you multiply it by the number of turns? Because I got 4.8
Reply 4724
Original post by ssargithan
Anyone did emf divide by square root 2?

YES. did you get 0.13A?
2b) the first bit is right

the 2nd mark is for
a positive test charge will have to do work against the field to reach a point in this field from infinity (or something to that effect.)

also wondering why 2) e) is 1560, cant remember if i got that or nah
Reply 4726
Lol the picture people in the picture on bbc website are surely doing maths you can see the pink formula bookleta

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

for the raising height of 1.4m thing, in practice it wouldnt go as high because energy is lost due to air resistance of the air, plus the heating effect of the current??
Original post by CD223

Posted from TSR Mobile

Other possible points for 1)a):

Forced oscillations:
When a periodic force (PF) is applied to a natural oscillator (NO) (Which has a natural frequency).
If PF has frequency much lower than NO, then NO oscillates with roughly same amplitude as periodic force. Small/no phase difference.
If PF has frequency much higher than NO, then NO oscillates with small amplitude. Variable phase difference and amplitude. Max amplitude when PF is pi/2 radians out of phase with NO and minimum amplitude when PF is in phase with NO.

Also in resonance, oscillations may be violent.
Original post by Lau14
1. yes, 2. no, 3. last multiple choice question? no, 4 yes

Damping was I believe the second box?

It was -322, it's been on other past papers ☺️
Ignore that I read it wrong lol
Reply 4730
Thanks!

Added.

Original post by JizzaStanger
Other possible points for 1)a):

Forced oscillations:
When a periodic force (PF) is applied to a natural oscillator (NO) (Which has a natural frequency).
If PF has frequency much lower than NO, then NO oscillates with roughly same amplitude as periodic force. Small/no phase difference.
If PF has frequency much higher than NO, then NO oscillates with small amplitude. Variable phase difference and amplitude. Max amplitude when PF is pi/2 radians out of phase with NO and minimum amplitude when PF is in phase with NO.

Also in resonance, oscillations may be violent.
Can someone explain why Q20 in section A was -322g and not zero?
At lowest in MC i got 20/25 and around 30-34ish on written (4 marks lost damping, 3 graph, 1 area under graph, 3 angle :/ , few more in written not sure if i lost 2 at potential ) would 50 be a B ?
2b) the first bit is rightthe 2nd mark is fora positive test charge will have to do work against the field to reach a point in this field from infinity (or something to that effect.)also wondering why 2) e) is 1560, cant remember if i got that or nah
Original post by alex3107_
Can someone explain why Q20 in section A was -322g and not zero?

The reading is zero if and only if no force acts on the magnet, because it says the balance was zeroed before the experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RemainSilent
At lowest in MC i got 20/25 and around 30-34ish on written (4 marks lost damping, 3 graph, 1 area under graph, 3 angle :/ , few more in written not sure if i lost 2 at potential ) would 50 be a B ?

Looking at past boundaries (in the first post), 50 should most definitely be a B, possibly a high one :smile:
Original post by otterfailure
i am so pissed i for some reason read the question about the horizontal! circle to be a vertical circle so thats at least 18 marks down the sh*tter. I don't know i don't think physics is that bad i just keep making these kind of stupid mistakes. Goodbye A/A* :frown:

Can i still do well if the unit 5 goes well?

What question are you referencing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4738
Original post by Lau14
Looking at past boundaries (in the first post), 50 should most definitely be a B, possibly a high one :smile:

How did you find the paper?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4739
Original post by a.a.k
Why does f become F/9 for 4R
I put 8 R

Posted from TSR Mobile

The radius of the spheres make 2R the force when in contact is 4F really and 4 divided by something gives 1/9 and that is 36 which you square root to give a total distance of 6R minus the 2R of the spheres as it asks for distance between surfaces

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending