Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone remember if the question with the iron rod used a DC or AC current? Was it implied? I can't remember at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayCS)
    Can anyone remember if the question with the iron rod used a DC or AC current? Was it implied? I can't remember at all.
    DC, it was attached to a battery.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by salicional)
    DC, it was attached to a battery.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    anyone doing a mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Protoxylic)
    I think I'm on for full marks with MC, with the only exception being the last Q on MC I said it was to increase mechanical stability. MC was fairly standard, 2-3 repeated Qs. Long answer was pretty good (bar the emf 2 marker oops). 1a was weird since you couldn't mention specific phase differences for forced vibrations as it is a range from 0 to pi/2 and pi/2 to pi (not inclusive of pi/2 as that is resonance). So I'm interested to see the mark distribution for that. Unit 5 is alright, I just hate turning points so we will see how that goes. Thanks, you too
    Think you were right in saying that the steel core increases mechanical stability, this is what I'm reading when I google 'why do power lines have steel cores?'. I don't think the other answers made sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danphil)
    Is there one for this exam? Could you send me the link to it if so. Sorry if it's already on here I couldn't see it
    This is the only one I could find

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_l1XCc4xlws

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djw0bbl3)
    Please, someone reassure me that I'm not the only one who thinks that was awful? I'm really angry and upset It was just full of so many ****ty questions. I need some reassurance.

Yeah don't worry, you're definitely not the only one there. Going all British and grabbing a hot drink helps. Just got to remember it's not the end of the world. What's the worst case scenario? Having to retake, or no uni place. There's other good things in your life

ReputationRep:
    Any idea on what the grade boundaries will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fvthoms)
    Can you post the values provided in the question that you remember? Wanted to check workings, but calculator cleared itself.
    I can't remember them, sorry.

I think I'm on for full marks with MC, with the only exception being the last Q on MC I said it was to increase mechanical stability. MC was fairly standard, 2-3 repeated Qs. Long answer was pretty good (bar the emf 2 marker oops). 1a was weird since you couldn't mention specific phase differences for forced vibrations as it is a range from 0 to pi/2 and pi/2 to pi (not inclusive of pi/2 as that is resonance). So I'm interested to see the mark distribution for that. Unit 5 is alright, I just hate turning points so we will see how that goes. Thanks, you too
    Yeah the MC was okay. What was the answer for the last question?
    I'm doing the astrophysics option. It sucks. It's not hard, but there's a lot to remember. Fortunately the grade boundaries are low as ****.

ReputationRep:
    anyone thinking of putting together an unofficial markscheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StarvingAutist)
    I can't remember them, sorry.

Yeah the MC was okay. What was the answer for the last question?
    I'm doing the astrophysics option. It sucks. It's not hard, but there's a lot to remember. Fortunately the grade boundaries are low as ****.
    It was to increase mechanical stability apparently. I was just unsure as it was a bit GCSE-esque. The other 3 answers definitely didn't seem correct as adding steel in parallel would increase resistance (very slightly) and it wouldn't force all current to go through the outer wires as that already occurs in absence of the steel core. I wanted to do applied, but got stuck with turning points lmao. The wording is so odd and it has the lowest grade boundaries of the 4 (5?) option topics. One year you needed 9/35 on that paper to get an E on that section lmao

ReputationRep:
    For P and Q what would you think I would get to :

(i) Current flowing through (which has magnetic flux) this with less resistance initally hence the reading on ammeter would be high (mentioned about flux cutting too)

(ii) There is resistance so accoring to R= 1/CUrrent, if resitance is high current would e low hence the reading on ammeter would be less than in (i)

Would this gain few marks?

ReputationRep:
    Hahaha
    (Original post by danphil)
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oonic0rn)
    anyone thinking of putting together an unofficial markscheme?
    i hope not, i dont want to cry myself to sleep tonight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RemainSilent)
    For P and Q what would you think I would get to :

(i) Current flowing through (which has magnetic flux) this with less resistance initally hence the reading on ammeter would be high (mentioned about flux cutting too)

(ii) There is resistance so accoring to R= 1/CUrrent, if resitance is high current would e low hence the reading on ammeter would be less than in (i)

Would this gain few marks?
    for II) i did the same, its pretty basic thinking so you can't go wrong there.

for I) I literally had no idea haha just did some other crap hoping it pulled a mark out.

ReputationRep:
    Just remembered about the one where it asks for the unit I put Wb, now I'm thinking I should have put Wb Turns..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShutUpLegs)
    Just remembered about the one where it asks for the unit I put Wb, now I'm thinking I should have put Wb Turns..
    I did the same thing, reallyyyyy regretting it but im thinking they may not mind seeing as N isn't really requiring a unit. so maybe we're okay ^^

ReputationRep:
    It was to increase mechanical stability apparently. I was just unsure as it was a bit GCSE-esque. The other 3 answers definitely didn't seem correct as adding steel in parallel would increase resistance (very slightly) and it wouldn't force all current to go through the outer wires as that already occurs in absence of the steel core. I wanted to do applied, but got stuck with turning points lmao. The wording is so odd and it has the lowest grade boundaries of the 4 (5?) option topics. One year you needed 9/35 on that paper to get an E on that section lmao
    Oh, good. That's one less mark to have lost :lol:

9, wtf? That's mad!

ReputationRep:
    grade boundary ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Razzamataz179)
    i hope not, i dont want to cry myself to sleep tonight
    ahhaah i need closure!!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.