Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Oh dear well you have our physics department's advice for graphs now with that EMPA stuff! And I'll be sure to pass along anything new we get given this year.
    Thanks for your generosity really hoping for an A this year. We'll see how realistic that is in a few weeks...:L

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imyimy)
    Yeah I'm gonna try- thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! What option are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Thanks for your generosity really hoping for an A this year. We'll see how realistic that is in a few weeks...:L

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries, we're all suffering through this together! Fingers crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    No worries! What option are you taking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Astro! And you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also whilst I'm here, how's everyone going with ISAs? I've got mine Wed/Fri ahh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    No worries, we're all suffering through this together! Fingers crossed
    Aha that we are!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Astro! And you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Astro too! How far in are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Astro too! How far in are you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We finished the syllabus for both units early Feb but I think we went a bit too quick as I can't say I fully understand everything yet. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    We finished the syllabus for both units early Feb but I think we went a bit too quick as I can't say I fully understand everything yet. What about you?
    Oh right! I've got about 5 weeks of Astro left. It's being prolonged due to the EMPA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Done a unit 4 past paper (june 2010) and just scraped an A* but I think that's bcz there are barely any past papers and I'm just repeating them -_-😠 anyone know what to do when you've done all the past papers for unit 4 ?? Currently dying from a headache and flu 😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by susanjan123)
    Done a unit 4 past paper (june 2010) and just scraped an A* but I think that's bcz there are barely any past papers and I'm just repeating them -_-😠 anyone know what to do when you've done all the past papers for unit 4 ?? Currently dying from a headache and flu 😭😭😭😭

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done! How on earth did you manage that with a flu? !! 😂

Id say go over the revision guide and try to answer some of the questions they have in there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So my suggestion would be doing physics papers later on in the evening isn't the best idea? I forgot the difference between left and right which doesn't end so well with fleming's LEFT hand rule

ReputationRep:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JAN11.PDF

Q9) What is the value of the gravitational field strength at the mid-point, P, between the two masses?

Why is the answer zero?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    So my suggestion would be doing physics papers later on in the evening isn't the best idea? I forgot the difference between left and right which doesn't end so well with fleming's LEFT hand rule
    Ahahaah!
    Just remember the riGht hand rule is for Generators 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saad97)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JAN11.PDF

Q9) What is the value of the gravitational field strength at the mid-point, P, between the two masses?

Why is the answer zero?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The field strength due to either mass is equal to:
    g=(GMm)/(r^2)

Gravitational field strength is a vector quantity so it has magnitude and direction. As such, midway between two equal masses, the gravitational field strength will be zero, as there is an equal attractive force acting on a particle at P from both directions, which cancel to give a resultant field strength of zero.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ahahaah!
    Just remember the riGht hand rule is for Generators

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh I know which one to use. I just didn't know which hand was the left one :P I kept thinking left hand rule and using my right hand anyway because clearly it is now my left hand. Lost me about 3 marks!

Got 54/75 anyway... which is apparently just an A* even though it's 72%??? ... Physics grade boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    The field strength due to either mass is equal to:
    g=(GMm)/(r^2)

Gravitational field strength is a vector quantity so it has magnitude and direction. As such, midway between two equal masses, the gravitational field strength will be zero, as there is an equal attractive force acting on a particle at P from both directions, which cancel to give a resultant field strength of zero.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So is it because they both have the same mass, the equal attractive force cancels out?
    What if one was 2m and the other was m? Would you have to use the equation to calculate it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Oh I know which one to use. I just didn't know which hand was the left one :P I kept thinking left hand rule and using my right hand anyway because clearly it is now my left hand. Lost me about 3 marks!

Got 54/75 anyway... which is apparently just an A* even though it's 72%??? ... Physics grade boundaries
    Oh Hahahah! That's even better! Sorry! Which one did you have to use? Left? I've never had one with the right hand yet...?

Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh Hahahah! That's even better! Sorry! Which one did you have to use? Left? I've never had one with the right hand yet...?

Well done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I was supposed to be using Fleming's left hand rule for a few multiple choice and a bit in the main section.

Annnnnd just remembered my unit five mock is tomorrow. Oops. Turns out there's a six mark question in both halves of the paper (astro and thermal/nuclear). Fortunately astro is worth 30/75 though and I can actually do more of thermal than I thought so it might be alright!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Yeah I was supposed to be using Fleming's left hand rule for a few multiple choice and a bit in the main section.

Annnnnd just remembered my unit five mock is tomorrow. Oops. Turns out there's a six mark question in both halves of the paper (astro and thermal/nuclear). Fortunately astro is worth 30/75 though and I can actually do more of thermal than I thought so it might be alright!
    Oh I see!

Good luck for your mock! Let me know how it goes!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.