Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotYourType)
    2 A ball is thrown vertically down towards the ground with an initial velocity of 4.23 m s–1. Theball falls for a time of 1.51 s before hitting the ground. Air resistance is negligible.
    The ball makes contact with the ground for 12.5 ms and rebounds with an upwardsvelocity of 18.6 m s–1. The mass of the ball is 46.5 g.
    (i) Calculate the average force acting on the ball on impact with the ground. magnitude of force = ................................ .................. N direction of force ................................ ......................[4]
    (ii) Use conservation of energy to determine the maximum height the ball reachesafter it hits the ground. height = ................................ ............. m [2]

how to go abt this question?
    http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/C..._s12_qp_21.pdf

The solution to 2(b) as in your PM to me is:

Attachment 372915
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426446565.200092.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  145.1 KB

At least, as far as I can tell. Please let me know if it's correct. If so, let me know if you have any questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is there an A2 empa physics thread??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sanil17)
    Is there an A2 empa physics thread??
    I decided against making it because it is meant to be a controlled assessment without discussion of the content. See a couple of pages back for Lau14's comprehensive guide to the EMPA

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I might sound dumb , but what is empa

ReputationRep:
    I might sound dumb , but what is empa
    Externally Marked Practical Assessment. It's the PHA3X/6X scheme that AQA do as an alternative to the ISA.

Look it up on google and you'll find more information

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So we had to do this for homework (who knows if he'll follow through on it) but it seems like a good idea generally - print the relevant pages out of the specification (the ones that bulletpoint what you need to know for each unit), and go through with red/orange/green pens colour coding things depending on how well you understand them. It only takes 10 minutes or so, quick and easy way to higlight (literally!) the areas you need to do the most work on.

ReputationRep:
    Please help me out with this question
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    So we had to do this for homework (who knows if he'll follow through on it) but it seems like a good idea generally - print the relevant pages out of the specification (the ones that bulletpoint what you need to know for each unit), and go through with red/orange/green pens colour coding things depending on how well you understand them. It only takes 10 minutes or so, quick and easy way to higlight (literally!) the areas you need to do the most work on.
    Ah that sounds a good idea! I haven't even looked at the spec 😁😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please help me out with this question
    Attachment 373133
    Attachment 373135
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1426529304.598929.jpg
Views: 193
Size:  161.4 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Omg!! You're so helpful...but I'm only able to view one picture

ReputationRep:
    Omg!! You're so helpful...but I'm only able to view one picture
    Sorry!

How about now?

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    I can view all of them now ..thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah that sounds a good idea! I haven't even looked at the spec

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It makes everything seem much shorter!

ReputationRep:
    I can view all of them now ..thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No worries! Does it make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    It makes everything seem much shorter!
    Ah it's scary how little time is left!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah it's scary how little time is left!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't remind me... just under 8 weeks of classes and then we only have to come in for exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Don't remind me... just under 8 weeks of classes and then we only have to come in for exams.
    I'm praying Easter is productive but I already have so many plans for it - aha!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    I'm praying Easter is productive but I already have so many plans for it - aha!
    Fortunately I seem to have no social life, so I should manage to get plenty done over Easter! Hopefully everything will be really really close to finishing teaching then.
    Busy week at the moment though, off to London on Saturday so I have to get everything done over the next three days realistically (and "everything" should be 5 past papers and hopefully the remaining PHYA5 notes).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Fortunately I seem to have no social life, so I should manage to get plenty done over Easter! Hopefully everything will be really really close to finishing teaching then.
    Busy week at the moment though, off to London on Saturday so I have to get everything done over the next three days realistically (and "everything" should be 5 past papers and hopefully the remaining PHYA5 notes).
    Woah sounds like things are busy with you at the minute! I have my first EMPA practical tomorrow! Ahh!

I'm sure you do have a social life!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Woah sounds like things are busy with you at the minute! I have my first EMPA practical tomorrow! Ahh!

I'm sure you do have a social life!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Should settle down after this week hopefully, back to normal and then Easter anyway. Oooh good luck! (we haven't even started prep yet...).

Well definitely not at the moment :P

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.