Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Does anyone else have the entire week between PHYA4 and PHYA5 free?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes but I have Phya4, Economics unit 3 and Literature unit 3 on the same day... wrecked

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordFW)
    Hey, was wondering whether you have checked xtreme past papers? they may have a lot more papers you could practice. I haven't myself checked yet but will do soon.

Make sure to save the real papers for the last few weeks as they're pretty scarce. Attempt xtremepapers now if you intend on doing so, rather than right beforehand!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Hope it's an okay day!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wasn't too bad, didn't really do much (just one FP3 paper really...). Confirmed that we can do whatever work we want pretty much in one of our maths lessons now though, so that's 4 hours a week of past papers instead of having to do them at home/in frees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Wasn't too bad, didn't really do much (just one FP3 paper really...). Confirmed that we can do whatever work we want pretty much in one of our maths lessons now though, so that's 4 hours a week of past papers instead of having to do them at home/in frees!
    That must feel so liberating. I can't wait to finish my subject's content. Hooke's Law in M2, Robotics in Computing, Astro beyond Stellar classes in Physics and World War Two Germany in History. So many topics yet to learn for this time of year 😁

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    That must feel so liberating. I can't wait to finish my subject's content. Hooke's Law in M2, Robotics in Computing, Astro beyond Stellar classes in Physics and World War Two Germany in History. So many topics yet to learn for this time of year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well Hooke's law at least is only a lesson or two! You're nearly at the end anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Well Hooke's law at least is only a lesson or two! You're nearly at the end anyway
    Oh good! Dreading going back! First productive day's revision today. Kinda proud of myself. Gonna have to keep it up!

Have you done many past papers for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh good! Dreading going back! First productive day's revision today. Kinda proud of myself. Gonna have to keep it up!

Have you done many past papers for physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well done!

6 for PHYA4 (2 as mocks in college), just the one mock for PHYA5. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    Well done!

6 for PHYA4 (2 as mocks in college), just the one mock for PHYA5. You?
    Oh nice! 4 PHYA4 (1 college mock) and 1 PHYA5

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    has anyone done Empa Section B? (I've done section A part 1 and 2)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    Not sure anyone will have yet. I have mine on 5th May. Please be aware of the strict guidelines against discussing the EMPA on this thread, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Obviously don't give me any clues to the actual paper, but how would you's advise me to revise for the EMPA? I find the more technical questions more difficult to answer than the 'normal' answers on standard papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Oh nice! 4 PHYA4 (1 college mock) and 1 PHYA5

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I should get through another paper for each unit this week hopefully

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Not sure anyone will have yet. I have mine on 5th May. Please be aware of the strict guidelines against discussing the EMPA on this thread, however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's only about a two week gap or so where the written papers can be done, so noone's done them yet. Ours is the 8th of May :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by you-only-live-once)
    pm me!

thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by l1lvink)
    Obviously don't give me any clues to the actual paper, but how would you's advise me to revise for the EMPA? I find the more technical questions more difficult to answer than the 'normal' answers on standard papers.
    In terms of revision, I would definitely recommend looking at the relevant section of the AQA Nelson Thornes book - has all the maths and practical skills you'll be tested on

EMPAs are harder, just have that in your mind. A standard exam answer can be memorised but these questions can't. Just keep a steady head, remember the practical skills summarised in the book and you'll be fine. Often answers are much more simple than they seem.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I should get through another paper for each unit this week hopefully
    Yeah hope to do the same!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    There's only about a two week gap or so where the written papers can be done, so noone's done them yet. Ours is the 8th of May :/
    I was gonna say! I didn't know if it was a week or a two week gap. Either way no one should have done it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kooldude_dr)
    pm me!

thanks.
    Please be aware of the strict EMPA discussion rules. PMs are no safer a place to discuss as on the thread. AQA are wise to this, so please don't risk anything for your own sake.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Big 6 mark questions of unit 4 paper

i think last year was a designing a capacitor related expt

june 13 - comparison between grav and electric fields
    jan 13 - satellites
    jun 12 - grav fields
    jan 12 - magnetic levitation (em induction)
    june 11 - principles of high voltage transmission systems and why is ac preferred (odd question imo)
    jan 11 - describe experiment to measure acceleration of havy cylinder, capacitor discharge circuit invovled
    jun 10 - dicussing conservation of energy and momentum when applied to explosion
    jan 10 - energy losses in a transformer

June 2015? Maybe something shm related or electric field related?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    Big 6 mark questions of unit 4 paper

i think last year was a designing a capacitor related expt

june 13 - comparison between grav and electric fields
    jan 13 - satellites
    jun 12 - grav fields
    jan 12 - magnetic levitation (em induction)
    june 11 - principles of high voltage transmission systems and why is ac preferred (odd question imo)
    jan 11 - describe experiment to measure acceleration of havy cylinder, capacitor discharge circuit invovled
    jun 10 - dicussing conservation of energy and momentum when applied to explosion
    jan 10 - energy losses in a transformer

June 2015? Maybe something shm related or electric field related?
    I personally can see it being an SHM pendulum or mass spring experiment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.