Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion123)
    did you find it difficult?
    It wasn't bad, but I'm afraid I can't give anything more away about it for obvious reasons. You'll be fine. Just don't worry about it too much and get on with it like you would a normal practical aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannanqureshi)
    Hi can anyone please help me with slit spacing and diffraction gratings 😃
    How may I (or others lol) help?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes i understand no worries. and thanks mate, I got 11/16 in my mock so aiming for a higher mark in the real EMPA. thanks for the advice, just need to take my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lion123)
    Yes i understand no worries. and thanks mate, I got 11/16 in my mock so aiming for a higher mark in the real EMPA. thanks for the advice, just need to take my time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh wow, 11/16 is a great mark. With that under your wing and a positive attitude you'll do great.

I hope that section B isn't as hard as last year!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Ah me too - strength in numbers eh!

Maybe do papers without timed conditions for now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It takes me like 2 1/2 hours to do a paper. But when I have time to do it can get a good mark but today I ran out of time and just had to put random guesses for most of the multi choice because I didn't have time to work them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    It's too close for comfort :/ Computer Science at Bath - you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Engineering at (hopefully) Warwick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    It takes me like 2 1/2 hours to do a paper. But when I have time to do it can get a good mark but today I ran out of time and just had to put random guesses for most of the multi choice because I didn't have time to work them out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you struggle on timing in the MC or written part?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Engineering at (hopefully) Warwick
    Good luck! What's the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Do you struggle on timing in the MC or written part?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The written part is usually the worst for me. Its like little things that aren't really much to do with the content that I spend ages trying to work out. For example: when you're working out the force due to gravity on an object above earth do you include the radius of the earth and the height of the object above earth. Or is it just the height of the object above earth? Have you tried the June 14 paper yet? if so how did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    The written part is usually the worst for me. Its like little things that aren't really much to do with the content that I spend ages trying to work out. For example: when you're working out the force due to gravity on an object above earth do you include the radius of the earth and the height of the object above earth. Or is it just the height of the object above earth? Have you tried the June 14 paper yet? if so how did you find it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh right! It's the radius and height, right?

Yeah I had it as a mock in college and got 56 aha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    X
    Hey, can I just ask, at the bottom of this page of notes, do you mean to say Fleming's Right Hand Rule?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429273461.966044.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  174.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone able to post the 2014 AQA PHYA4 paper here? Impossible to find a link for it so I'm guessing anyone that goes to school / College (Im teaching myself at home) has access to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kennethm)
    Anyone able to post the 2014 AQA PHYA4 paper here? Impossible to find a link for it so I'm guessing anyone that goes to school / College (Im teaching myself at home) has access to it.
    I don't have a copy as of yet, but will do soon hopefully. How are you finding A4 so far? What are your revision techniques/strategies etc?

ReputationRep:
    june 10 paper section a (mcq), question 19.
    Why would the reading on the scale be -224g?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Good luck! What's the offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks

They've asked for AAA. What was your offer from Bath?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    Hey, can I just ask, at the bottom of this page of notes, do you mean to say Fleming's Right Hand Rule?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429273461.966044.jpg
Views: 88
Size:  174.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really not sure to be honest (hate magnetic fields), but we weren't taught to use Fleming's right hand rule, just to use the left hand one a bit differently I think??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilovemaths96)
    june 10 paper section a (mcq), question 19.
    Why would the reading on the scale be -224g?
    -224g because the wire is lifted off the scale (you have to assume that the scale only records a change in mass and not the actual mass) and the fact that when I doubles F doubles (hope this helps)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Disney0702)
    Thanks

They've asked for AAA. What was your offer from Bath?
    AAA as well! Good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lau14)
    I'm really not sure to be honest (hate magnetic fields), but we weren't taught to use Fleming's right hand rule, just to use the left hand one a bit differently I think??
    Oh right! Fleming's right hand rule is used for the "generator effect", (instead of the left hand rule which is used for the "motor effect") and uses the same finger convention / same finger positions, just using your right hand instead of your left! It's used for generating an EMF.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheRAG)
    -224g because the wire is lifted off the scale (you have to assume that the scale only records a change in mass and not the actual mass) and the fact that when I doubles F doubles (hope this helps)
    I remember being stuck on that horrid question!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.