The Student Room Group

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread]

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
Original post by CD223
Has anyone tried the "exam style questions" at the end of each chapter of the book? I just didn't know if they were worth doing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have for phya4 all the chapters except magnetism and emi since i cant do that chapter!
Theyre quite good for phya4 tbh and it's helped me quite a lot especially since there isn't a lot of past papers! 😀
Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1061
Original post by JJBinn
Yeah chapter one is alright to be honest. Some heavy notes on telescopes coming up though :frown:

I've looked at those exam style questions in the text book btw and decided against them. They seem really wordy and not actually exam like at all. I just do the summary questions and then for exam practice I'll go to actual papers.

Oh no :/

They are a collection of old style exam questions I think. I did the summary questions after each lesson so I've done all of the ones in the Nelson Thornes book this year, and all of them up to 2.3 in the Astro notes. I didn't know if I should go onto past papers now or do some ESQs! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1062
Original post by Mai.H
I have for phya4 all the chapters except magnetism and emi since i cant do that chapter!
Theyre quite good for phya4 tbh and it's helped me quite a lot especially since there isn't a lot of past papers! 😀
Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I might give them a go then - thanks!

Did they take you long at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1063
Unfortunately yeah but its worth it!
Reply 1064
Original post by Mai.H
Unfortunately yeah but its worth it!

I better get cracking then! :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1065
Can someone explain how more damping than critical damping can actually mean the amplitude of oscillations is reduced less with each cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Can someone explain how more damping than critical damping can actually mean the amplitude of oscillations is reduced less with each cycle?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is that overdamping? whereby it takes longer to return to equilibrium. I think its because the displacement is gradually reduced but in critically damped its built to suddenly stop displacement. Not too sure if thats any help lol :smile:
Hi, can anyone explain how you know when to choose [R] or when to choose [R] as i dont know which one to use when. Thanks :smile:
Reply 1068
Original post by Jed-Singh
Hi, can anyone explain how you know when to choose [R] or when to choose [R] as i dont know which one to use when. Thanks :smile:

Its when say on a fairground wheel one is used when your at the top and the other is when your at the bottom i usally work it out using a force diagram
Reply 1069
Is that overdamping? whereby it takes longer to return to equilibrium. I think its because the displacement is gradually reduced but in critically damped its built to suddenly stop displacement. Not too sure if thats any help lol :smile:

Yeah I could never understand why more damping than critical damping actually means it is free to oscillate more than critical damping! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1070

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429718484.796656.jpg

This diagram uses T for tension, but the same principle applies for R.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Need to ask you something

last year I did PHY6X but this year I'm doing PHY6T even though they're worth different amounts of UMS. Will it still count to my final grade etc?
Reply 1072
Original post by AR_95
Need to ask you something

last year I did PHY6X but this year I'm doing PHY6T even though they're worth different amounts of UMS. Will it still count to my final grade etc?

They are worth the same amount of UMS (out of 60). They may be different numbers of marks for the respective tasks, but they will be scaled so that the UMS gained for unit 6X and unit 6T will be the same.

The exams are worth 120 UMS each, so 60 UMS gained from unit 6 on either scheme X or scheme T will make the 300 UMS total that make up the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
They are worth the same amount of UMS (out of 60). They may be different numbers of marks for the respective tasks, but they will be scaled so that the UMS gained for unit 6X and unit 6T will be the same.

The exams are worth 120 UMS each, so 60 UMS gained from unit 6 on either scheme X or scheme T will make the 300 UMS total that make up the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok so I'm allowed to do either
Reply 1074
Original post by AR_95
Oh ok so I'm allowed to do either

In theory yes, although most centres enter candidates for the same scheme in both years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Yeah I could never understand why more damping than critical damping actually means it is free to oscillate more than critical damping! :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's not free to oscillate.
There is no oscillation if the damping is equal to or greater than critical.
In these cases the mass returns to equilibrium and stays there.
The only difference is that it takes longer to get there as the damping increases. This is perfectly logical, as more damping means more resistance, this means the mass moves more slowly, which means it takes longer to get to the equilibrium point.
Original post by CD223
In theory yes, although most centres enter candidates for the same scheme in both years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did PHY6X at school where as I'm doing PHY6T at a different centre now. It's probably because they only do T?
Reply 1077
Original post by Stonebridge
It's not free to oscillate.
There is no oscillation if the damping is equal to or greater than critical.
In these cases the mass returns to equilibrium and stays there.
The only difference is that it takes longer to get there as the damping increases. This is perfectly logical, as more damping means more resistance, this means the mass moves more slowly, which means it takes longer to get to the equilibrium point.

That makes sense. I was thinking it just oscillates for longer, which wasn't logical.

Thank you :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1078
Original post by AR_95
I did PHY6X at school where as I'm doing PHY6T at a different centre now. It's probably because they only do T?

That would make sense, I wouldn't worry! You're not the first person on this thread who has changed schemes :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1429718484.796656.jpg

This diagram uses T for tension, but the same principle applies for R.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ah, so is Resultant Force (R) the opposite of T? ie the negative form of those equations is R?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending