Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

AQA Physics PHYA4 - Thursday 11th June 2015 [Exam Discussion Thread] Watch

ReputationRep:
    So I got 43/50 raw marks on my ISA which is what, roughly around say 49/50 out of 60 UMS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    So I got 43/50 raw marks on my ISA which is what, roughly around say 49/50 out of 60 UMS?
    I think 43/44 is around full ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mai.H)
    I think 43/44 is around full ums

Posted from TSR Mobile

No way?

I was reading the grade boundaries today and it said 44-46 is an A*??

Although it's really weird. Some papers 41/40 is an A which is 48 UMS so it would make sense if an A* was like 54 UMS?

Still though, 52-54 UMS out of 60 would be brilliant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    You done much better than me, I got 39.

43 should be around 50-52 ums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ubisoft)
    You done much better than me, I got 39.

43 should be around 50-52 ums

Still very close

Just depends on the practical and preparation I guess. Mine was on Capacitors which in my opinion is the easiest chapter within A2 physics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Still very close

Just depends on the practical and preparation I guess. Mine was on Capacitors which in my opinion is the easiest chapter within A2 physics
    Really? That's one of my hardest topics, I find mechanics the easiest

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me on these multichoice questions. Cant seem to know how to do it. June 14 is terrible for multichoice. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431702082.566636.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431702090.454065.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  48.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jimmy20002012)
    Can anyone help me on these multichoice questions. Cant seem to know how to do it. June 14 is terrible for multichoice. Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431702082.566636.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  44.7 KB
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1431702090.454065.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  48.8 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The answer to the first one would be 14mm and the answer to the second is 33.3V.

Both of these questions require you to think about how certain quantities are related to each other:

- Force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance
    - Electric potential is inversely proportional to the distance

In the potential question, you need to sum the potentials from each charge (potential is a scalar quantity).

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain how to work out this question mathematically? I always just take a guess :confused: I know it's the lowest common multiple, but how do you work this out with decimals?
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rem19)
    [img]http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=3992 19&stc=1[img] can someone please explain how to work out this question mathematically? I always just take a guess :confused: i know it's the lowest common multiple, but how do you work this out with decimals?
    B. 1.9/0.05 = 38

I don't know where you got LCM from?

ReputationRep:
    B. 1.9/0.05 = 38

im sure it's just something that my teacher told me, but it never worked out :confused: thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone think the boundaries will be slightly higher this year?

Last yearns PHYA5 boundaries were insanely low. 10 people in our class of 18 got A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    B. 1.9/0.05 = 38

If you think about it, the LCM of the two time periods is the first time they will be in phase if they are set off at the same time. It's another method instead of using the phase difference as a fraction of the time period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Last yearns PHYA5 boundaries were insanely low. 10 people in our class of 18 got A*s.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Boundaries were low but I thought the exam was harder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)
    If you think about it, the LCM of the two time periods is the first time they will be in phase if they are set off at the same time. It's another method instead of using the phase difference as a fraction of the time period.

Posted from TSR Mobile

what does LCM stand for again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    Boundaries were low but I thought the exam was harder?
    The exam wasn't in any way "easy", I just thought it was similar difficulty to previous years and yet had substantially lower boundaries.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RA95)
    what does LCM stand for again
    Lowest common multiple

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Please can somebody explain 17 and 24? For 24 I replaced BA with the flux in the formula BANwsinwt and let sinwt =1 so I had E = fluxNw, but I didn't know how to replace w with time. Thanks.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JAN10.PDF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CD223)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they will be much higher this year (much to my dismay)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJBinn)
    Please can somebody explain 17 and 24? For 24 I replaced BA with the flux in the formula BANwsinwt and let sinwt =1 so I had E = fluxNw, but I didn't know how to replace w with time. Thanks.

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-QP-JAN10.PDF
    For 17, the EPE is a maximum at P because the two particles are at the smallest distance, d, apart, and:

{E_{EP}}=\dfrac{Qq}{4\pi{\epsilo  n_0}d}

The KE reduces to a minimum at P because all initial KE has transferred to EPE.

The total kinetic energy and total potential energy constantly changes, BUT the total energy of the system remains unchanged.

The answer is C.

For 24,

E=\dfrac{N\phi}{T}

\Rightarrow \phi = \dfrac{Et}{N}

The answer is A.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.